Kineton - St Francis of Assisi

A functional but carefully-detailed design of the 1970s, incorporating furnishings from the predecessor church and occupying a central position in the local conservation area. 

Read More

Kings Heath - St Dunstan

A distinctive and successful design of 1966-8, built to replace an earlier church adjacent (extant and now in non-worship use). The church has high architectural and artistic significance for the dramatic and well-planned worship space, the architect’s careful detailing, use of good quality finishes, and for the integration of artistic elements into the overall design.  

Read More

Kings Norton - St Joseph and St Helen

A late Gothic Revival church built in 1933, to designs by G. B. Cox. The interior has high-quality original and later fittings and furnishings, also designed by Cox.

Read More

Kings Norton - St Paul

A functional church of the 1970s, with an attractive, light-filled interior of laminated timber trusses.

Read More

Kingshurst - St Anthony

An economical but well-detailed church of the mid-1960s, designed to meet the emerging liturgical requirements of the Second Vatican Council and notable for its atmospheric use of top lighting. The external character of the building has been compromised by unsympathetic alterations and additions.  

Read More

Kingshurst - St John the Baptist

A utilitarian design of the 1990s, not of architectural or historical significance. 

Read More

Kingstanding - Christ the King

A functional building of the early 1960s, built to a traditional plan but using modern forms and materials, catering for a new housing estate.

Read More

Kingswinford - Our Lady of Lourdes

A brick church of the early 1980s, not of special architectural or historical interest but making a good contribution its neighbourhood. 

Read More

Kitts Green - Our Lady Help of Christians

A building of major significance in the diocese, and nationally, illustrating one architect’s response, highly individual and creative yet driven by the liturgical programme, to post-Vatican II requirements. Richard Gilbert Scott’s T-plan building is a remarkable design, combining modern construction and forms with high quality fittings and artworks, and is very little altered.

Read More

Knutton - Our Lady of Sorrows

A functional brick church-cum-hall of the 1950s. 

Read More

Leamington Spa - St Peter Apostle

A large and handsome town church in the thirteenth century French Gothic style by Henry Clutton, a well-known Catholic architect. The interior is richly furnished. Despite the loss of the pyramidal spire, the church and its tower remain prominent features in the local townscape. The adjoining presbytery is also by Clutton, and contemporary with the church. 

Read More

Leek - St Mary

An impressive late nineteenth-century church based on the architecture of the thirteenth century, whose soaring profile and hillside site give it great presence in the town and conservation area. The interior contains good stained glass by Mayer of Munich and a carved stone altar reredos and pulpit.  

Read More

Lichfield - Holy Cross

Built in 1803 by the Rev. Dr John Kirk (1760-1851), a leading figure in the development of Roman Catholicism in Lichfield. Originally a simple brick box with contemporary adjoining presbytery, the church was remodelled and extended by Joseph Potter (architect of Oscott College) with a well detailed transitional Norman-Gothic stone facade in 1834, increasing the contrast between the church and the late Georgian town house from which it emerges. The interior was extensively reordered in 2003, when a narthex was added to the rear. The most significant elements are the west front, chancel arch, and attached presbytery. The church is a notable landmark on a main approach to the city.

Read More

Lillington - Our Lady

A powerful and expressive centrally planned, concrete-framed building, designed by the local architect Henry Fedeski, and strongly influenced by Gerard Goalen’s church of Our Lady of Fatima, Harlow. Like that church, it incorporates an extensive scheme of brightly-coloured dalle de verre glass designed by Dom Charles Norris of Buckfast Abbey. The building is almost unaltered since its completion in 1963.

Read More

Little Malvern - St Wulstan

A large and striking Gothic church on a dramatic hillside site, designed by Charles Bucknall for the Benedictines. Bucknall’s intended eastern apse was never built and the east end remains roughly finished in brickwork. The interior is handsome but is now plainly decorated, apart from the northeast chapel with its glass and reredos by Hardman and the (later) small octagonal baptistery with its elaborate wall painting. The churchyard is the burial place of Sir Edward Elgar.

Read More

Lower Gornal - St Peter and the English Martyrs

A functional design of the late 1960s incorporating slab in resin glass by the Hardman firm. 

Read More

Malvern - St Joseph

A modest Gothic design of the 1870s, considerably enlarged in the 1990s. Something of the original character of the interior has been preserved, with the original west gallery and reredos, but the finishes and many of the furnishings are modern. There is some good stained glass by Hardman and others.

Read More

Mapledurham House - The Chapel of St Michael the Archangel

Mapledurham, home of the Catholic Blount family, was a notable recusant household. The house retains numerous features and artefacts of penal times. The chapel was built in 1797, soon after the Second Catholic Relief Act of 1791, and is a small building, externally modest, but with a delightful Strawberry Hill Gothick interior, similar to those at Milton Manor, Stonor Park and Bishop Milner’s chapel at Winchester. It contains several paintings and furnishings of historical and artistic importance. 

Read More

Maryvale - Our Lady of the Assumption

A good, fairly late example of the work of the Birmingham architect G. B. Cox, in stripped Romanesque style, its broad west tower incorpo-rating a large statue of Our Lady of the Assumption, by Peter Bohn. The broad and light interior is an attractive space, but original sanctuary furnishings of note have been lost. The church was built to relieve the pressure on the chapel at Maryvale House.

Read More

Maypole - St Jude

A simple post-Vatican II church by Brian A. Rush, using modern materials to provide a spacious, flexible interior to serve the reformed liturgy. 

Read More