Oxford - St Anthony of Padua

A large church of a relatively conventional design for 1959–60, built as a dual-purpose church and hall, with a wide, light-filled interior. The latest reordering included the provision of new sanctuary furnishings by David John. This was the parish church of the writer J.R.R. Tolkien, and the large west crucifix is by the sculptor Faith Tolkien, his daughter-in-law.

Read More

Oxford - St Edmund and St Frideswide

A large neo-Romanesque church by the architect-priest Fr Benedict Williamson. Built for the Jesuits, it is now a parish church and part of the adjoining friary of the Capuchin Franciscans. The church has an austere and serene interior. The whole complex makes a positive contribution to the conservation area and the distinctive tower is a local landmark.

Read More

Oxford - St Gregory and St Augustine

A small Arts and Crafts chapel (designed as a hall to serve a future church) by Ernest Newton, one of his few non-domestic buildings, and his only Catholic church commission. The benefactor was Charles Robertson, a convert to Catholicism, who had employed Newton on other projects. The little chapel was originally intended to be the hall, once a larger church had been built. The interior is largely unaltered.

Read More

Packmoor - St Patrick

A modest red brick church of 1935, of some interest as a design by the parish priest, using voluntary labour for the construction. However, it does not possess architectural significance.

Read More

Penn, Wolverhampton - St Michael

A notable circular design by Desmond Williams & Associates, designed to accommodate post-Vatican II liturgical needs. The church has a number of artworks and furnishings of note, and is little altered. It is an important local landmark.

Read More

Perry Common - St Margaret Mary

An interwar brick church of traditional form but with modernistic detailing, built to serve a new and expanding suburban housing development. The broad, squat tower is a local landmark.

Read More

Pershore - Holy Redeemer, St Wulstan and St Eadburga

Although architecturally unremarkable, this is a building of considerable significance in the development of the liturgical movement in England, and was recognised as such at the time of its opening. It has been described as ‘a small but significant architectural experiment’ which ‘signalled that the Roman Catholic Church in Britain was open to the possibility of a modern liturgical church architecture’. The church contains specially commissioned artworks and furnishings by Joseph Cribb, John Skelton, Rosamund Fletcher and others.

Read More

Pery Barr - St Teresa of the Child Jesus

A modest church dating originally from the late 1930s, significantly altered and enlarged in the 1960s, with an attractive reordering of 2000.

Read More

Princethorpe - Our Lady of the Angels

A large and conspicuous late Gothic Revival church built for French Benedictine nuns from design by Peter Paul Pugin and opened in 1901.  The church replaced the a smaller 1830s chapel serving St Mary’s Priory, although that chapel survives (altered) amongst the buildings of Princethorpe College. Despite the forbidding red brickwork of the exterior, the church is among Peter Paul Pugin’s richest buildings, with some of his best surviving metalwork and woodwork, along with a full set of stained glass by the Hardman firm and other furnishings of note. 

Read More

Pype Hayes - St Peter and St Paul

A large functional church and presbytery of the early 1970s. The church was designed as a flexible worship space to reflect the new liturgy.

Read More

Quinton - Our Lady of Fatima

A modest post-war suburban church, using modern materials to provide a spacious, flexible interior. 

Read More

Radford - St Augustine

A small plain church of the late 1970s, built as a parish initiative, and notable mainly for its fine stained glass and for a carved Belgian altar of the early nineteenth century. 

Read More

Radford - St Augustine

A small plain church of the late 1970s, built as a parish initiative, and notable mainly for its fine stained glass and for a carved Belgian altar of the early nineteenth century. 

Read More

Redditch - Our Lady and Mount Carmel

A late Georgian sandstone design, built not long after Catholic Emancipation, from designs by the Gothic Revival pioneer Thomas Rickman – his only work for the Catholic Church, and delightfully ‘unarchaeological’. The church underwent unsympathetic reordering after the Second Vatican Council, but recent changes have sought to reinstate more of its historic character. 

Read More

Rednal - Our Lady of Perpetual Succour

A plain but dignified late essay in the modern basilican style by Sandy & Norris.

Read More

Rugby - English Martyrs

The central core of a concrete framed cruciform church built in 1965-6 and altered to its present form in 1978-9. Sadly, the striking original dalle de verre glass by Jonah Jones in the gables has been replaced by plain glazing.

Read More

Rugby - St Marie

A nationally important church with a stunning west steeple - the only part not by a member of the Pugin family. The interior has retained much of its rich c.1900 decoration, especially in the sanctuary where the fine altar and reredos survive.

Read More

Rugeley - St Joseph and St Etheldreda

An important example of the work of Charles Hansom, with many original fixtures and good stained glass by Hardman, which has been sympathetically redecorated and restored. With its spire (completed later) the church provides an important local landmark.

Read More

Saltley - Our Lady and St Therese of Lisieux

An interwar basilican design by George Drysdale, externally unremarkable but with an extraordinarily rich interior of marble and mosaic, for which the driving force was the aptly-named parish priest, Mgr John Power. The baldacchino at the east end is based on that in 

Sant’ Ambrogio, Milan. Much of the mosaic decoration post-dates the substantial rebuilding done very quickly after wartime bombing. The tower over the crossing has a carillon of twenty three bells. 

Read More

Sedgley - St Chad and All Saints

One of the oldest churches in the diocese, being a Gothic design of the 1820s, in turn replacing a chapel of 1789. The vaulted sanctuary was considerably enriched in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, but the painted decoration is now lost or covered. The building was remodelled and extended at the (ritual) west end by G. B Cox in
1923-4. With the contemporary (but altered) presbytery, former school buildings and large burial ground, the church belongs to a significant group of Catholic structures reflecting the growth of the mission and parish over a century.

Read More