Silverdale and Madeley - Sacred Heart

The chief interest of the church is in its unusual arched brick front and lamella roof construction, here used at quite an early date after its development about 1920 (but renewed after a fire). Although the original cupola has been lost, and the felt roof covering somewhat detracts, the building continues to make an interesting and appealing contribution to the local streetscape.

Read More

Small Heath - Holy Family

A brick building of the 1920s by George Drysdale, built on a Greek cross plan, and significantly enlarged in the 1960s to accommodate a large influx of (mainly Irish) Catholics, attracted by jobs in local industry. The interior is a fine barrel vaulted space. An intended campanile was not built, the result being that the townscape contribution of the church is relatively minor. 

Read More

Smethwick - St Phillp Neri

The mission was established by the Rev. Edward Caswall, of the Birmingham Oratory and a noted hymnographer. The present church is a brick and terracotta design of the turn of the twentieth century, built largely through the efforts of Fr Charles Ryder. The design can be described as transitional Romanesque-Gothic, the arcaded interior more successful than the exterior. The sanctuary and transepts are richly furnished in marble, stone and mosaic, either by Fr Ryder or in his memory.   

Read More

Snow Hill, Wolverhampton - St Mary and St John

A large and important Gothic Revival church in the style of c. 1300 built in the 1850s by one of the leading church architects of the time, and reflecting the confidence of the Catholic Church at the time of the restoration of the hierarchy. The fine polygonal, gabled apse was added later, but the intended tower and spire were never built. The church interior is a fine space, notable for the quality of its carved stonework. It has largely escaped major post-Vatican II alterations. With the adjoining brick presbytery, the church makes a noteworthy contribution to the St John’s Square Conservation Area. 

Read More

Solihull - St Augustine of England

A simple brick Gothic church by A. W. Pugin, his earliest surviving church design, enlarged and enriched at various stages in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries with furnishings given by or designed by members of the Pippet family, whose church this was; nearly all the stained glass is by Hardman & Co. Other precious items, possibly given by Pugin, include a Flemish triptych and an ivory crucifix. In 1979 a large extension was built on the (ritual) north side of the building, effectively creating a new church, and involving significant demolition. The rupture caused by this intervention has to some extent been healed by a more recent sympathetic reordering.  

Read More

Sonning Common - St Michael

A large post-war church built during the Second Vatican Council and designed with a freestanding altar. Disused altar rails with good ironwork designs survive in the sanctuary.

Read More

Southam - Our Lady and St Wulstan

A pleasant small Italo-Byzantine church of the mid-1920s which was built to serve both the parish and the adjoining convent. The exterior is unassuming. The interior with its round-arched ceiling is well-proportioned but has lost much of the painted decoration which once enriched the east end.

Read More

Sparkhill - English Martyrs

A finely-detailed Basilican design of the 1920s by E. Bower Norris, with a landmark campanile and a simple and little-altered interior adorned with fine marble and mosaic decoration.

Read More

Spetchley - St John the Baptist

The Berkeley family of Spetchley Park has maintained the Catholic faith since the 1690s, and for many years was served by Jesuit priests, latterly from Worcester. The chapel is contained within the neoclassical mansion built in 1811 for Robert Berkeley from designs of the Catholic architect John Tasker. It is a fine neoclassical space with some nineteenth century enrichment in the sanctuary. The house lies within extensive parkland. 

Read More

St Mary on the Hill - Wednesdbury

A mid-Victorian brick church designed with thirteenth century detailing by a well-known Catholic church architect. Sited on a hill, together with the nearby Anglican parish church, it forms a prominent local landmark. The original presbytery has been demolished.

Read More

St Teresa of the Child - Stoke-on-Trent

The original 1920s church, of modest architectural interest, was built to serve workers brought from France to the nearby Michelin factory. It was enlarged and given a tower by E. Bower Norris in 1956. More recently the interior has been remodelled, creating a luminous, uplifting worship space. 

Read More

Stafford - St Anne

An economical design of 1986, fit for purpose, well-lit and spacious but of low heritage significance. 

Read More

Stafford - St Austin

Stafford was a strong local Catholic centre during the penal years, and a public chapel was built as soon as it became legally possible to do so in 1791. This building, placed beside the contemporary presbytery, was remodelled and extended in Gothic style in 1814, but survives only in part. The present church, in effect the third on the site, is a solid Gothic Revival design of 1861-2 by E. W. Pugin, lacking its intended spire but with significant furnishings by P. P. Pugin and others.

Read More

Stechford - Corpus Christi

An octagonal post-Vatican II design, marked internally and externally by a fine gabled corona.  

Read More

Stoke on Trent - Sacred Heart

A large and handsome late nineteenth century church, set among a dense grid of streets near the centre of Hanley.  It has a fine interior of considerable quality and lavishness. The church, substantial presbytery and a former school building (now the parish centre) fill the whole of a street block and constitute a major presence in the area.

Read More

Stoke on Trent - St George and St Martin -

An attractive interwar design in the Early Christian basilican style, with some good furnishings. The church is a fairly early work by the prolific Catholic architect E. Bower Norris and lacks the more archaeologically correct character of some of his other basilican designs. The building is located on a ridge amidst dense nineteenth-century terraces and makes a positive contribution to the local scene. 

Read More

Stoke-on-Trent - Our Lady of the Angels and St Peter in Chains

A large and conspicuous building designed by Charles Hansom, one of the most original of mid-nineteenth century Catholic architects. The church and presbytery with their vigorously banded brick walls form part of a larger composition with the former convent and have considerable landscape value on a prominent site overlooking Stoke. The interior contains good furnishings by the Hardman firm and others.

Read More

Stoke-on-Trent - St Gregory

A post-Vatican II town centre church, its design owing something to the influence of Francis Pollen and Maguire & Murray. The church has a large semi-circular central worship space with the presbytery and other spaces radiating off it. It replaced an earlier church designed by E.W. Pugin.

Read More

Stone - Immaculate Conception and St Dominic

A large and complex church of strong architectural character and interest. It forms the heart of a group of listed and unlisted buildings which form a historically interesting and important ensemble. Of these, the chapel of St Anne is an important early work of A. W. Pugin, associated with the mission of Blessed Dominic Barberi. The building of the present church and convent was conceived by Mother Margaret Hallahan, founder of the Dominican Congregation of St Catherine of Siena. The church is a fine Gothic Revival design by Charles Hansom and Gilbert Blount, two major Catholic architects of the nineteenth century, and is the burial place of Bishop William Bernard Ullathorne, a significant figure in nineteenth century Midlands Catholicism. 

Read More

Stourbridge - Our Lady and All Saints

An impressive mid-Victorian Gothic Revival church by a major Catholic architect. There is a good survival of the Victorian fittings and fixtures. With its later tower and spire, the church forms a significant local landmark. The adjoining Gothic presbytery is also of architectural and townscape value.  

Read More