Colwich - St Mary's Abbey

St Mary’s Abbey occupies a building of considerable architectural interest as an example of early nineteenth century Gothick, which has been occupied by Benedictine nuns since the 1830s. Features of note include the interior plasterwork of the chapel, which has been carefully converted and sensitively extended. 

Read More

Coseley - St John Fisher

A functional design of 1960, built to a limited budget and not of heritage significance.

Read More

Coughton - Ss Peter and Paul and Elizabeth

The Throckmorton family has been at Coughton Court since the fifteenth century, and the house was a Catholic recusant centre from the 1570s. In 1851-3 the family built this substantial church and presbytery on the edge of the estate, from designs by Charles Hansom. The Gothic exterior has a curious thin tower, possibly inspired by Irish models. The interior has been little altered since the 1850s.

Read More

Coventry - Christ the King and Our Lady of Lourdes

A large early 1970s church of traditional planform. It has a fine series of later stained glass windows by Abbey Studios, Dublin.

Read More

Coventry - Corpus Christi

A functional portal framed design, built in the 1950s as a dual-purpose church-hall; the projected larger church never materialised.

Read More

Coventry - Holy Family

A large church built on a tapering cruciform plan shortly after the Second Vatican Council by the Dublin architects Peppard & Duffy. The side elevations appear to have been influenced by Coventry Cathedral. The church is a local landmark due to its size, bold inverted ‘V’ entrance and steel openwork spire.

Read More

Coventry - Our Lady of the Assumption

A small plain post-war church with some later additions. 

Read More

Coventry - Sacred Heart

A large post-Vatican II church by Williams & Winkley, illustrating the 1970s vogue for multi-purpose church buildings, the ambitions of its original design not realised. It is built adjacent to the old church of
1933-34, by G. B. Cox, now the parish hall. The internal volume of the new church is notable for the absence of any internal supports, due to a space frame roof resting on a pair of box beams. There are some furnishings of note.

Read More

Coventry - St Anne

A small octagonal church built in 1979, with a raised, side-lit sanctuary.

Read More

Coventry - St Elizabeth (The Good Shepherd, St Elizabeth and St Helen)

An early church by G. B. Cox in a nicely-detailed Arts and Crafts Gothic style. Following wartime bomb damage, the east end and side chapels were rebuilt and extended in a fairly respectful mixture of Gothic and modern idioms by Harrison & Cox. The church has a series of stained glass windows by the Hardman firm.

Read More

Coventry - St John Vianney

A plain post-war design with the character of a dual-purpose church-hall. 

Read More

Coventry - St Joseph the Worker

A post-Vatican II centrally-planned church, built by Lanner of Wakefield to one of their standard designs. 

Read More

Coventry - St Mary and St Benedict

A small urban church in the Early English Gothic Revival style, built to serve the second oldest mission in Coventry. It retains several original furnishings such as the pulpit, high altar, reredos and font. Lady Gwendeline Petre of Whitley Abbey was a benefactress. The church has a 1970s narthex with dalle-de-verre stained glass. It is a building of local architectural and historical interest.

Read More

Coventry - St Patrick

A striking church with a fan-shaped plan designed in response to the post-Vatican II liturgical changes. The aluminium roof consists of overlapping segments with glazed clerestory windows which culminate in a needle spire

Read More

Coventry - St Thomas Moore

A large modern church built after the Second Vatican Council on a square plan. It has an impressive interior with good furnishings, including fine stained glass by Patrick Pollen. 

Read More

Coventry - The Most Holy Sacrament and St Osburg

The oldest Catholic church in Coventry, and the successor parish to the mission in existence by 1707. Built for the Benedictines, the church was designed by Charles Hansom, following his study of continental Gothic churches with the parish priest, Rev. William Bernard Ullathorne OSB (later Bishop of Birmingham). Following severe war damage in 1940 (which included the loss of Hansom’s presbytery), the church was sympathetically repaired by G. B. Cox and enriched with fine stained glass and mosaic work. It was recently reordered.

Read More

Coventry - The Precious Blood and All Souls

A large Romanesque Revival church built in 1923-4 as a war memorial and extended in 1938-9 by E. Bower Norris. War damage was sympathetically repaired. Post-war furnishings include an unusual mosaic pulpit and stained glass by Hardman Studios. The church is a powerful design, built in several phases yet retaining architectural coherence, and has historical importance as a war memorial, in effect to two world wars. Perhaps reflecting this, the church has survived post-Vatican II reordering unusually unscathed. 

Read More

Cradley Heath - Our Lady of Lourdes

A 1980s brick-built church with hall attached, built on a modest budget and not of special heritage interest.

Read More

Cresswell - St Mary

A modest red brick Gothic church in a rural setting, attached to an earlier (seventeenth century) house. The church is important as an early, pre-Emancipation example of Catholic church-building - the first to be built in north Staffordshire after restrictions were lifted in 1791. The interior is plain, with a gallery at one end. Most of the furnishings are modern, but the church possesses important vestments and sacred vessels from the chapel of the now-demolished Painsley Hall, and a window by A. W. Pugin to Lady Stourton, who financed the construction. The churchyard cross and (less certainly) the font are also attributed to Pugin.

Read More

Darlaston - St Joseph

A steel-framed and brick church of the 1970s on a hexagonal plan, with a light and welcoming interior.

Read More