Codsall - St Christopher

Wolverhampton Road, Codsall, Staffordshire WV8

title= title= title= title=

One of the more recent churches in the diocese, carefully designed on a compact scale and with interesting visual features. 

From 1931 Mass was said on alternate Sundays at Blantons’ teashop in Codsall. Initially the Mass centre was served from St Mary and St John in Wolverhampton but in 1932 it became the responsibility of the Tettenhall clergy. A church was opened in 1934 and was financed by Louis Connolly, a wines and spirits merchant, in memory of his wife Henrietta. In 1961 St Christopher’s became a parish church. In 1964 it was extended with a baptistery, sacristy and extra seating capacity. A decision to build a new church was taken in 1999 and the old one was demolished. The foundation stone for the new building was laid on 11 February 2000 and the church was opened in August the same year.

The church is built of reddish and brown bricks of varied hue. Although fairly modest in scale, it is visually interesting both outside and in. The design makes reference to historical styles, but the building is designed for post-Vatican II worship. The main worship space is a square beyond which there projects a low semi-circular apse flanked by round-arched lancet windows. Each of the side walls is punctuated by a five-light triangular window with lozenge tracery in the head. These windows project up into the low-sweeping gables. The church space is separated from the hall by a hallway/narthex.

Inside the walls are again faced with bricks of subtly varied shades. The eye is drawn to the plain pointed arch framing the apsidal recess in the sanctuary. The main space is covered by a boarded ceiling, which around the perimeter reaches down to within about eight feet of the ground. A pair of trusses divide the ceiling into three bays. The seating is arranged in a semi-circular shape.

Diocese: Birmingham

Architect: John D. Holmes

Original Date: 2000

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed