Kidlington - St Thomas More

Oxford Road, Kidlington, Oxfordshire OX5

title= title=

A plain post-war church built by the Wakefield firm Lanner Ltd using their characteristic laminated timber arches.

The parish of Kidlington and Woodstock was founded in 1933. In 1934, the present site was bought and the following year, a small church-hall built for £750, the first building in the diocese to be dedicated to St Thomas More (canonised in 1935). In 1955, the presbytery was built. In 1966, the parish priest was discussing plans for a new permanent church with Mr Richards of Lanner Ltd. Work on site started in June 1967 and the building was ready for use in March 1968. Between 1969 and 1984 the parish was in the care of the Servites. On 22 June 1976 the church was consecrated by Archbishop Dwyer.

In 2011, planning permission was granted for an attached hall behind 140 Oxford Road (architects Coleman Hicks Partnership).

The church faces southwest. This description follows conventional liturgical orientation.

The church was built using portal frames of laminated timber. The external walls are of brick, while the roof is of interlocking concrete tiles (of 1981). The church has a
T-plan with a gabled crossing roof surrounded by lower lean-to roofs over ancillary spaces. At the centre of the crossing roof is a tall copper-clad needle spire. The windows are tall metal windows with closely spaced mullions. At the west end is a small porch.

The interior is divided by the laminated timber frames into a four-bay nave and a one-bay sanctuary. The sanctuary in the crossing has diagonal timber frames. The three west bays have three tall windows each, while the outer faces of the transepts have three staggered clerestory windows. There is a small chapel in the north transept arm, while there is additional seating in the south transept arm. Small spaces of the west corners of the crossing house the repository and a confessional. The altar and the tabernacle stand are both of Banbury ironstone. A modern crucifix hangs on the east wall. Other fittings include two small painted triptychs in the style of Northern European Renaissance triptychs. The Stations of the Cross are modern painted reliefs mounted on timber boards

Diocese: Birmingham

Architect: Lanner Ltd

Original Date: 1968

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed