Kineton - St Francis of Assisi

Southam Street, Kineton Warwickshire CV35

title= title=

A functional but carefully-detailed design of the 1970s, incorporating furnishings from the predecessor church and occupying a central position in the local conservation area. 

Local Catholics worshipped in a converted barn served from Avon Dassett (qv) from 1927 until 1971, when Kineton became the main parish centre. A grade II-listed seventeenth-century house in the Market Square was acquired to serve as a presbytery and land behind this acquired for a church. This was built in 1974-6; according to the account in the Catholic Building Review ‘considerable consultation was carried out with the local planning authority to ensure that the new building would fit into the fabric of the village’. It is a small church, seating 150. The architect was Brian Rush & Associates and the cost was £40,000. A number of furnishings from the old church were re-used.

The building is roughly square on plan, with honey-coloured facing brick, prominent fascia (now in UPVC) and a pitched roof clad with dark brown clay tiles. A raised clerestory lights the nave and sanctuary. In the entrance area is a holy water stoup/memorial to Francis George Sumner (d.1941), founder of the mission and benefactor. The interior has not been inspected, but the account in the Catholic Building Review describes the roof trusses, designed to evoke the predecessor barn-church. A number of furnishings were brought from the old church, including a Gothic reredos behind the altar (see photo right) and the benches were obtained from Warwick Hospital Authority. Items donated by parishioners include the Stations of the Cross, font, and organ. The stone altar, lectern and credence table date from 2003.

LIST DESCRIPTION:

GV II

 

Formerly known as: Rose and Crown Inn MARKET PLACE Kineton. Inn, now house. Late C17 (datestone 1664 on right part) with late C20 refronting to left part. Painted brick to left, painted coursed limestone rubble to right; renewed tile roof with painted brick end stacks, one with diagonal shafts, and 2 cross-axial stacks. 3-unit plan.

 

EXTERIOR: single storey plus attic; 2- plus 2-window range, with lower wing to left end. Right part: continuous label mould to each floor; entrance to left has chamfered jambs and 3-centred moulded head dated 1664, and 2-panel plank door; ground floor has recessed-chamfered window with 3-light casement replacing mullions, small recessed-chamfered light to left; first floor has two 3-light recessed-chamfered mullioned windows. Gabled roof. Left part: entrance to left with renewed plank door; 2 windows to ground floor have sills, 2-light small-paned casement to left, 3/6 sash to right; first floor has similar windows with 2-light small-paned casements; stack with diagonal shafts to left. Wing with 2 blocked segmental-headed entrances, and small first-floor window with 2-light casement with iron opening casement; end stack. Rear is brick with large C19 gabled wing.

 

INTERIOR: not inspected.

 

Listing NGR: SP3360851153

Diocese: Birmingham

Architect: Brian Rush & Associates

Original Date: 1976

Conservation Area: Yes

Listed Grade: Not listed