Kingswinford - Our Lady of Lourdes

Summer Hill, Kingswinford, Dudley DY6

title= title=

A brick church of the early 1980s, not of special architectural or historical interest but making a good contribution its neighbourhood. 

A Mass centre was established in the early years of the Second World War in a doctor’s surgery. More space was afforded when the vicar of St Mary’s, Kingswinford, offered the use of the Anglican church hall on the corner of Penzer Street. Land was then acquired in Summerhill and the foundation stone for a dual-purpose chapel of ease (served from Brierley Hill) was laid on 22 July 1950. The architects were Jennings, Homer & Lynch of Brierley Hill, the builders Henry Willcock & Co. of Wolverhampton. In 1962 Kingswinford became an independent parish. The present church was begun in November 1980 and opened on 5 July 1983, whereupon the old church-hall became the parish hall. The new church was consecrated on 11 February 2005.

The church is built of dark brown brick under a concrete tile roof and presents a symmetrical front to the road. The roof sweeps down low over the entrance and within it is set a wide, shallow gabled dormer window. On either side there are triangular projections which step upwards, with the windows increasing in height towards the angle. The nature of the site means that the church is much broader than it is long.

Inside there is narthex area with a repository and a separate small meeting room. There is a small organ gallery within the worship space. The walls are of bare brick, mostly light brown but of dark brown colour at the back of the sanctuary. The boarded ceiling rises to an apex running on the main the axis of the building. No fittings or furnishings require particular notice other than the crucifix in the sanctuary, a good piece brought here from a church in Stoke-on-Trent. 

Diocese: Birmingham

Architect: Not established

Original Date: 1983

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed