Knutton - Our Lady of Sorrows

Cotswold Avenue, Knutton, Staffordshire ST5

title= title=

A functional brick church-cum-hall of the 1950s. 

A Mass centre served from Silverdale was opened at the County Secondary School, Knutton, in 1942. In 1950 a plot of land in Cotswold Avenue was purchased from the council for a chapel. This was built as a church-cum-hall in 1953, mainly by the parishioners. It was blessed on 29 October 1954. A resident priest was appointed in 1957.  The plain extension on the south side probably dates from 1968 and is the work of Morris, Smith & Partners of Gravelly Hill, Birmingham. The church is now served from Wolstanton.

This is a simple, rectangular brick building, seven bays long under a concrete pantiled roof and with shallow pilasters between the bays. The walls are faced in yellow brick laid in stretcher bond.  The windows are timber framed. The interior is as basic as the exterior but nonetheless has a simple charm. The roof is supported on thin rolled steel angle trusses. The seating consists of imported Victorian benches while the altar, with three carved panels, is also a Victorian piece installed c.2010.

Diocese: Birmingham

Architect: Not established

Original Date: 1954

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed