Article

A Brief Introduction to the Archdiocese of Birmingham

The Archdiocese of Birmingham has 224 parishes, some with more than one church (as of 2015), with 263 churches visited in this review. The cathedral is in Birmingham and is dedicated to St Chad. The Diocese of Birmingham was founded on 29th September 1850. It covers parts or all of the counties of Oxfordshire and Berkshire (north of the River Thames), Staffordshire, Warwickshire, West Midlands and Worcestershire. It is the Metropolitan diocese in Province of Birmingham.

 

The cathedral was designed by AWN Pugin in German gothic style. Adjacent was an impressive Bishop’s House which was demolished at the end of the 1950s as part of a road widening scheme. Inside the cathedral are relics of St Chad which had been kept safe by recusants, and they are enshrined above the altar. The diocese traces its roots to the Vicariate Apostolic established in 1688, and, following its erection in 1850, was created an archdiocese in 1911.

 

The diocesan website is here.

 

The Taking Stock review for Birmingham was completed in 2015.