Lowton - St Catherine of Siena

The church is of some architectural interest as a pioneering work by Weightman and Bullen, which influenced the form of other churches in the Diocese.

Read More

Lydiate - Our Lady

Substantial Gothic Revival rural church built for the Jesuits by their favoured architect, J.J. Scoles. The church is set within a mature churchyard, which includes a restored medieval cross. Internal furnishings include an elaborate reredos by Edmund Kirby and an important series of medieval alabaster reliefs and timber carvings from the nearby St Katherine’s chapel.

Read More

Lydiate - St Gregory

Standard  design  of  the  1950s  by  L.A.G.  Prichard,  prolific  post-war designers of churches in the Archdiocese of Liverpool.

Read More

Maghull - St George

Very late and altered example of the work of Pugin & Pugin, the church is not amongst their finest, but nonetheless contains a good collection of stained glass and an interesting post-Vatican II internal reordering.

Read More

Mawdesley - SS Peter and Paul

The  church is  a  good  example of  an early  post-Emancipation  chapel which follows broadly late Georgian style in terms of massing but features Gothic detailing to the windows and elements of the interior. The site on the edge of a settlement with the attached presbytery facing the road is typical of the self-effacing style often adopted at this time. The church retains a substantially unaltered exterior with apparently original glazing detail of Gothick type. The interior has been altered but broadly retains historic character. A good example of a church and presbytery of the date and type.

Read More

Melling - Most Holy Redeemer and St Kentigern

Dual-purpose building of 1900, of attractive and picturesque external composition and detailing, more school- than chapel-like in character.

Read More

Mossley Hill - St Anthony of Padua

St Anthony of Padua is an imposing church which occupies a commanding  site in a prosperous area of the city. It remains  in the ownership of the Franciscan Friars Minor Conventual. 

Read More

Netherley - St Cyril

A building of very similar character to St Mark’s, Halewood, the church is of no special architectural or historic interest.

Read More

Netherley - St Gregory

A design and build church of a standardised type erected in 1970, the building is of no special architectural or historic interest.

Read More

Netherton - Our Lady of Walsingham

Design and build church with laminated timber frame, dating from the 1970s.

Read More

Netherton - St Benet

Functional church of the 1970s.

Read More

Newton - St Edward

Granite church built in the 1960s on a longitudinal plan, influenced by Sir Basil Spence’s Coventry Cathedral, with staggered side elevations producing a 'saw-toothed' plan. The glass and light lends the interior its quality.

Read More

Newton-le-Willows - St David

This   is   a   modern   ‘design   and   build’   church   of   little   intrinsic architectural interest.

Read More

Newton-le-Willows - St Mary and St John

The  church  is  a  good  example  of  a  mid-19th   century  Gothic  Revival church by an established London architect.  The architectural forms are conventional,  but  there  are some  original  features, such as  the  west window.    The interior  has been re-ordered  more  than  once,  but still retains something of its original character.

Read More

Newton-le-Willows - St Patrick

A late example of the kind of Romanesque-style church which was popular  in  England  during  the  inter-war  years,  with  a  wide  and spacious interior.

Read More

Norris Green - St Theresa

The church is a large and striking building built to serve as a landmark on a new housing estate. The design is eclectic, combining elements of both north and south European Gothic styles, as well as some classical elements. ‘Rarely has there been such a haphazard assortment of styles in one church’ (Pollard/Pevsner).

Read More

Northwood - St Mary, Mother of God

A modest building, this is one of a group of churches in Kirkby by L.A.G. Prichard, architects with a prolific post-war practice in the Archdiocese of Liverpool.

Read More

Old Swan - St Brendan's Shrine

This is a plain and functional building of modest architectural interest.

Read More

Old Swan - St Oswald

The tower and spire of the church are of considerable importance as a work by A. W. N. Pugin, the most influential architect of the 19th century Gothic Revival. The post-war body of the church, rebuilt to the designs of Adrian Gilbert Scott, has a conventional late Gothic revival exterior but the unusual interior with its concrete hyperbolic arches is of some interest. Part of an important complex of 19th century buildings comprising the listed presbytery of 1860 by E. W. Pugin (the centenary booklet says Daniel Powell), convent and school buildings, part possibly by A.W.N. Pugin, and a former Methodist chapel of 1845 in the Soanic style.

Read More

Onchon - St Anthony

St Anthony’s is a striking modern church with a strong architectural character.  It  has  a  welcoming  character,  and  is  well  liked  by  the resident congregation.

Read More