Aughton - St Mary

Prescot Road, Aughton, Ormskirk, Liverpool 39

title= title= title= title=

Chapel and attached presbytery of the low-key type that prevailed between the passing of the Second Relief Act of 1791 and the Catholic Emancipation   Act   of   1829.   As   at   the   slightly   earlier   church   at Burscough, the attached contemporary presbytery is built at right angles to the church, rather than following the usual pre-Emancipation back-to-back arrangement. The interior retains its original Corinthian engaged  columns  and  oval  saucer  dome  in  the  sanctuary,  and  the seating in the western gallery.

The mission was established in 1784 and the present church built in 1823.

The church was reordered in about 1985, at which time the High Altar, altar rails and pulpit were removed. Additional information:

•     The external render of the chapel is lined to resemble ashlar blocks;

•     The western gallery retains its original plain, painted benches;

•     Good set of c1900 Stations of the Cross, oil on canvas, signed J. Uberti, Paris

•     Modern glass in the round window on the north side of the chancel, depicting St Ambrose Barlow

•     Modern upholstered seating in the nave

•     To the rear of the presbytery is an 18th century brick barn, possibly originally used as a church (anecdotal local reports say that worship here was originally in a barn).

LIST DESCRIPTION: 

Roman Catholic church and presbytery. 1823. Church stuccoed. Presbytery of exposed brick. Slate roofs. West gable wall blind except for a lozenge window under the apex. The gabled porch has a round-headed doorway. Cross finials on porch and main gables. North wall blind except for round window to chancel. South wall has 3 tall round-headed windows with glazing bars. Presbytery of 3 bays which have sashed windows with glazing bars and stone lintels and sills. Doorway, in central bay, has plain reveals and round brick head. Chimneys to each side and between 1st and 2nd bays.

Interior: west gallery with panelled front carried on 4 iron columns. Chancel separated by wall pierced by large central round-arched opening flanked by smaller similar openings. Against the east wall are paired engaged Corinthian columns supporting an enriched entablature. Above is an oval saucer dome. Above the main body of the church is a flat ceiling with central circular design.

Diocese: Liverpool

Original Date: 1823

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed