Billinge - St Mary

Birchley Road, Billinge, Wigan WN5

title= title=

A  good  example  of an early  19th   century  chapel, built  shortly  before Catholic Emancipation and displaying more of a show front than such reticent earlier chapels as those at Portico and Netherton. The interior has been altered and retains little of its original character.

The Directory gives the date for the establishment of the mission as 1618, and the parish registers for Billinge date from the 1690s. The present building was erected in the early 19th century, and there were significant adaptations in the mid and late 19th century.

LIST DESCRIPTION: 

Catholic church and presbytery. Church of 1828, with mid C19 apse and presbytery. Stone with slate roof. 3-bay navewith impost band and cornice; pedimented west gable. Round-headed windows have keystones and leaded glazing, and rectangular panels above. West end has windows flanking entrance which has porch with paired unfluted Doric columns, frieze and cornice. Gable has projecting panel with entwined initials. Rectangular apse has paired round-headed lancets and adjoins the presbytery, of 2 storeys and 3 bays.

3rd bay has gable and ground-floor canted bay window with hipped roof. Central entrance has shallow gabled porch. Interior: Segmental vaulted ceiling. Small west gallery above internal porch with etched glazing. Round chancel arch on paired columns with scrolly capitals. Canted apse with large paintings, niche to right, altar to left. Font of 1877, alabaster on coloured marble shafts; panels of evangelist's symbols.

Diocese: Liverpool

Architect: Unknown

Original Date: 1828

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Grade II