Ramsey - Our Lady, Star of the Sea and St Maughold

Queens Promenade, Ramsey, Isle of Man

title= title= title= title=

The church of Our Lady of the Sea and St Maughold is an exceptionally important building from the early 20th  century, and one of the finest of Giles Gilbert Scott’s churches. It is little known in England, and it is a credit to the small Ramsey parish that it survives in such exemplary condition. Whilst the building was erected in 1909-10, Scott continued to make further improvements and provide additional furnishings until 1946. As with his very different commission for Liverpool Anglican Cathedral, Scott restricted the decorative treatment of the Ramsey church to small areas of intense colour and exquisite detail. Within this small space, and with a limited budget, he created a church of timeless beauty and great spirituality.

A Catholic church was established in Ramsey in 1863 by converting an old grain warehouse on the edge of the sea, just to the north of the harbour. In 1864 Ramsey was granted a separate mission, and Father Richard Gillow was appointed the first priest. On Father Gillow’s death in 1900, he was succeeded by Father Richard Barton, who quickly set about establishing a Catholic school, and then turned his thoughts to a new and larger church. An energetic drive for funds met with considerable success, but Father Barton died in 1908, aged 43, leaving his vision to be carried out by his successor, Father John Walmsley. The design for a new church was entrusted to the youthful Giles Gilbert Scott, whose work at Liverpool Anglican Cathedral had commenced four years earlier, and in August 1909 the foundation stone was laid.

The church, including the presbytery, was completed in 1910 at a cost of £3,000; the tower was financed by the Misses Matheson and cost £1,000, and the church bell was a gift of T. Massey-Lynch of Blundellsands. Two of the stonemasons engaged on the construction  were  tragically  drowned  in  the  loss  of  the  paddle  steamship  Ellan Vannin  on  a  crossing  from  Ramsey  to  Liverpool  on  9  December  1909  and  are commemorated by a wall plaque within the church. Scott continued to be involved with the church following its completion. In 1911 he commissioned the Stations of the Cross, which were carved by Kammerer of Vienna, and the same year he designed the entrance screen with leaded glazing. In 1913 carved statues of St Joseph and the Sacred Heart by Kammerer were installed with canopies designed by Scott.  The Lady Chapel altar with its carved and painted reredos was also to Scott’s design and dates from the 1920s, and in 1932 the delicate stained glass windows designed by James Hogan for Whitefriars were installed under Scott’s direction (they are contemporary with Hogan’s tower windows in Liverpool Anglican Cathedral). The crucifix on the west gable wall was carved in 1936 by W.D. and J.H. Gough of London at a cost of

£195. When the church had been completed, stone blocks were left projecting from the gable, pending the acquisition of funds to complete the carving. Scott’s final commission appears to have been in 1946 when he was asked to provide permanent altar rails to replace the temporary rails that were installed for the opening of the church. They were made of oak by Morrisons of Wavertree, who were the contractors for Liverpool Cathedral, and cost £149.10s. They follow the double curves of the altar steps. The rails were removed after Vatican II, but fortunately they were put in store and have recently been reinstated.

In 1986 a small meeting room was added onto the western end of the church with access from the sacristy. Extensive repairs were carried out in the 1980s, and further conservation has continued in recent years under the care of the present incumbent Father O’Mahony. A new addition to the interior is the carved Pieta, designed by Scott for the Church of St Anthony, Onchan, which was demolished and replaced by a modern building in 1988.

Diocese: Liverpool

Architect: Giles Gilbert Scott

Original Date: 1909

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed