Wimbledon - The Sacred Heart

An exceptionally large and handsome Jesuit church in the Gothic style, standing on a conspicuous site in a conservation area. Built between 1887 and 1901, mainly at the expense of Edith Arendrup, a member of the Courtauld family, it is perhaps the best of the many Roman Catholic churches designed by F. A. Walters.   The interior is richly furnished, with works by notable late-Victorian designers including J.F. Bentley and N.H.J. Westlake.

Read More

Wimbledon Common - Our Lady and St Peter

A  large,  modern  church  of  hexagonal  plan.  The  building  and  its furnishings are typical of their time.

Read More

Wimbledon Park - Christ the King

A  thoughtful  interwar  church  designed  by  a  member  of  the  Scott dynasty of architects, with an unassuming exterior but a dignified Italianate interior with most of its original high quality fittings.

Read More

Woolwich - St Catherine Labouré (Chapel of Ease)

A simple but elegant chapel of 1961 by Walters & Kerr Bate. Built to serve the workers at the adjacent industrial estate, it continues to be used as a chapel of ease for Woolwich.

Read More

Woolwich - St Peter

A Decorated Gothic Revival church by A. W. N. Pugin of 1842-43, with a chancel and chapel by F. A. Walters of 1887-89. The planned tower was never built. The church was Pugin’s first in London.

Read More

Worcester Park - St Matthias

A building of the mid-1960s which combines an Italianate brick exterior with a more contemporary interior.   The building retains most of its original fittings.

Read More

Wye, Ashford - St Ambrose (Chapel of Ease)

A modest 1950s building of utilitarian character and of no special architectural or historic note. Fittings include the pews from E. W. Pugin’s demolished church of St Teresa, Ashford.

Read More