Marychurch - Hatfield

A circular design of the late 1960s, reflecting the changes engendered by the Second Vatican Council and more specifically the influence of Francis Pollen’s abbey church at Worth, Sussex. The chief interest of the church lies in the dalle de verre glass by Charles Norris of Buckfast Abbey, which gives the interior its strongly devotional quality.  The building forms the centrepiece of a newly-planned part of the old town.

Read More

Marylebone - Our Lady of the Rosary

A neo-Romanesque church with an impressively light and complex interior, created largely by arches, openings in wall planes and transverse vaults. Designed by H. S. Goodhart-Rendel shortly before his death and completed by his successor practice, the design is a modern interpretation of French transitional Romanesque precedents, and is generally considered to be one of Goodhart-Rendel’s best. The church retains many original furnishings and fittings. The neo-Georgian presbytery by the same architect is included in the listing.

Read More

Mile End - The Guardian Angels

A red brick Perpendicular church with a distinctive tower, built by F. A. Walters for the family of the Duke of Norfolk as a memorial to Lady Margaret Howard, who had performed charitable work in the East End. It includes several original and historic furnishings. With the adjoining presbytery, also by Walters, and Leonard Stokes’s primary school, the church belongs to an important and prominent ensemble of historic buildings in the Clinton Road Conservation Area.

Read More

Mill End - St John the Evangelist

A church of 1970-71 on a polygonal plan, built to a fairly low budget but with a light and welcoming interior.

Read More

Mill Hill - Sacred Heart and Mary Immaculate

A modern (1994) steel-framed church building on a hexagonal plan, with attached parish hall.

Read More

Millwall - St Edmund

A modern brick complex on a T-plan, combining church, presbytery and parish room. It contains some historic furnishings from the predecessor church by William Wardell, as well as pews from A. G. Scott’s church at Poplar (qv).

Read More

Moorfields - St Mary

Stone-faced church built at the turn of the twentieth century, with a narrow, low-key street frontage which blends in with surrounding commercial buildings. The church replaced, and incorporates features from, the previous church near Finsbury Circus, an important design of 1820, which served as the pro-cathedral of the Archdiocese of Westminster from 1850 to 1869. This is the only Catholic church in the City of London.

Read More

Muswell Hill - Our Lady of Muswell

A late brick church by T. H. B. Scott, in his favoured Italian Romanesque style.  The stately arched interior is considerably more impressive than the exterior.

The church is designed in Scott’s familiar Italian Romanesque style.  The exterior walls are faced with brown brick, the roof is covered with Roman tiles.  The plan comprises an aisled nave with a short apsidal sanctuary.  The nave west front is defined by wide brick pilaster strips. Between them is a shallow Romanesque porch with a round arch carried on stone columns with carved stone cushion capitals. Small rectangular windows above flank a stone relief of Our Lady, with a round window in the gable.  The tall side bays have small modern windows below, a rose window above and plain brick parapets.  The aisle side walls are divided into bays by brick pilaster strips and have a row of simple round-headed windows high in the wall. There is a small apsidal brick sanctuary, with a modern single-storey link to the 1930s presbytery which stands immediately east of the church.

The interior walls are faced with yellow brick with a dado of purple brick.  The westernmost bay has a timber-fronted gallery with a vestibule under. The nave has arcades of five bays of round arches on tall brick piers with simplified brick capitals.  There is no clerestory and the arcades carry an open timber nave roof with tie beams and king-posts. The aisles have flat roofs and the aisle windows are clear-glazed with modern leading. The easternmost bays of the arcades open into a side chapel on the south side and a baptistery on the north.  The shallow apsidal sanctuary is lit only by two windows high in the side walls.

The church is simply furnished.  The stone altar and pulpit with their carved reliefs and the stone drum font date from the 1990s reordering by Gerald Murphy.

Read More

Neasden - St Patrick

A functional design on an octagonal plan, serving a modern housing development.

Read More

New Barnet - Mary Immaculate and St Peter

An interwar church in a simple version of the architect T.H.B. Scott’s preferred round-arched style.

Read More

New Southgate - Our Lady of Lourdes

The parish was erected in 1923.  The large mid-Victorian house which still serves as the presbytery was purchased with extensive grounds, which subsequently provided the site for both the parish church and the primary school behind it. It seems that the original idea for the church was ambitious, with a long aisled nave, an arched entrance loggia and a northwest campanile, but in the event the church was built with a short nave and with a small bellcote instead of the campanile. The architect was J. Arnold Crush of Edgbaston, perhaps best known in a Catholic context as the first architect of the present abbey church at Douai, Berkshire. That church, three years earlier than the New Southgate church, is Gothic in style, while Our Lady of Lourdes is firmly Italianate.

In 1986 the building was enlarged by an additional bay at the west of the nave, with a lower narthex on three sides with a hipped roof (architect Boris Kaye).

 

The church is in the Italianate style.  The main structure is of reinforced concrete with an external cladding of red Holbrook bricks with dressings of Portland stone and roof coverings of Roman tiles to the main roof and plain clay tiles to the narthex. The plan comprises an aisled nave with western narthex, a short apsidal sanctuary and a small bellcote on the north side and the junction of sanctuary and nave.

The west end wall of the main church has a wide shallow gable with a roundel in the head and deep eaves. Flanking the wall are substantial Portland stone brackets and beneath them spreads the roof of the narthex, whose west wall has a central round-headed doorway flanked by two pairs of round-headed windows.  The side aisles have pent roofs and simple rectangular openings with metal windows. The clerestory above has four round-headed windows each side in brick surrounds. The apsidal sanctuary is the same height as the nave with one round-headed window each side but with a plain parapet.

The interior is plastered and painted with a teak parquet floor in the nave and a granite floor in the sanctuary.  The western narthex opens directly into the nave through large plain openings. The nave has five-bay arcades with unmoulded round arches on cushion capitals and plain columns with entasis, except at the west end where the new western arches die into the west wall. The open timber nave roof has tie-beams supporting braced king-posts and queen-struts. The timbers of the aisle roofs are also exposed. The sanctuary is raised two steps above the nave. It was never richly fitted and now has modern stone and timber fittings (perhaps installed in 1986) and a large carved figure of Our Lord against the wall of the apse.  The altarpiece of the south aisle chapel, which was one of the original furnishings of the church, is of majolica and is a copy of Della Robbia’s Annunciation. Early photographs show the church seated with chairs, so the benches are a later introduction.

Read More

Northfields - St Peter and St Paul

A substantial church planned and partially built in the interwar period but not completed until 1959. Its brick-built Romanesque style was very popular between the wars. The interior has a considerable degree of grandeur and shows the assured hand of T.H. Birchall Scott, one of the most prolific architects working in the archdiocese at the time.

Read More

Northolt (Harrow South) - St Bernard

A 1960s concrete-framed church by Scott & Jaques, moving away from Scott’s earlier basilican Romanesque style in a more Modernistic direction. The tall brick tower is something of a local landmark.

Read More

Northwood - St Matthew

A 1920s red-brick suburban church built in a round-arched style. It has a spacious, light interior but does not have special architectural or historic interest

Read More

Notting Hill - St Francis of Assisi

A French Gothic Revival design by Henry Clutton, for the Oblates of St Charles. Shortly after its completion in 1860, Clutton’s young assistant, John Bentley, was asked to extend the church and supervise its internal decoration and furnishings. Bentley designed numerous fittings, stained glass, metalwork and textiles, and was the first to be baptised in the font he designed. The church was his first independent Catholic commission. He also designed the adjoining presbytery and school, which together with the church make a notable contribution to the local conservation area.

Read More

Ogle Street - St Charles Borromeo

A small urban church in the Gothic Revival style built on a tight site. It is notable for its elaborate furnishings designed by J. F. Bentley. Now home to a Neocatechumenate community, the nave has been reordered to include a large forward altar and an immersion font.

Read More

Old Hall Green and Puckeridge - St Edmund of Canterbury and English Martyrs

An attractive small rural Gothic Revival church of 1911, replacing a Gothick chapel of 1818. The church was built from designs by Arthur Young as a memorial to Edith Cécile, wife of Arthur Guy Ellis. It contains many furnishings of note, including a fine oak rood screen, and is very little altered.

Read More

Old Hall Green, Ware - Chapel, St Edmund’s College

A major building by A. W. N. Pugin, built towards the end of the architect’s life and completed after his death. The chapel has notable additions by E. W. Pugin and F. A. Walters. The quality and consistency of the design throughout is extraordinarily high; furnishings of note include the pulpitum or screen in Pugin’s chapel, with the rood which was the centrepiece of Pugin’s stand at the Great Exhibition, and stained glass by Hardman, Lavers & Westlake and others. The chapel was built to serve the college established here after 1793 as a Catholic seminary, the successor to Cardinal William Allen’s college at Douai. It holds the buried remains of several Vicars Apostolic of the London District, and one Cardinal Archbishop of Westminster.    

Read More

Osterley - St Vincent de Paul

A new church, thoughtfully designed and with some good quality fittings. It makes a reasonable architectural contribution in its suburban context, which forms part of a conservation area.  What is now the parish hall was the original church; this has an effective presence along Witham Road.

Read More

Our Lady - St John's Wood

An Early English Gothic Revival design by J. J. Scoles built a few years after Catholic Emancipation. While the exterior has a Commissioners’ Gothic character, the interior ‘gives a surprisingly correct impression of a hall church of the early C13’ (Buildings of England). Many of the current furnishings date from reorderings of the 1970s and 2010s.

Read More