Homily

A Brief Introduction to the Archdiocese of Westminster

The Archdiocese of Westminster has 215 churches (as of 2013). The cathedral is in London and is dedicated to the Precious Blood.The Diocese of Westminster was founded on 29th September 1850. The diocese covers the Greater London boroughs north of the Thames and west of Waltham Forest and Newham, plus the districts of Staines and Sunbury-on-Thames, and the county of Hertfordshire. It is the Metropolitan diocese in Province of Westminster.

Many of the early churches in Westminster are of a classical design, but for most of the nineteenth century gothic dominated. At the end of the nineteenth century, when choosing designs for a permanent cathedral, the Byzantine style was chosen so as not to compete with Westminster Abbey. This style was emulated across the country in the early twentieth century. Westminster also contains one of the few medieval churches to have come back to Catholic ownership: St Etheldreda’s, Ely Place, was once the London chapel of the Bishop of Ely and is a Catholic church once again.

The diocesan website is here.

The Taking Stock review for Westminster was completed in 2013.