Newhaven - The Sacred Heart

The Sacred Heart is a modest round-arched style building the character of which has been eroded by changes over the years.  

Read More

Northiam - St Teresa of Lisieux

The land for the church was given by local writer and historian Sheila Kaye-Smith who died in 1956 and the church was probably built around that time.  A simple unadorned brick building of almost domestic appearance.  

Read More

Oxted - All Saints

If All Saints’ Church were still in its original form, as built and designed by James Leonard Williams, it would certainly deserve to be up-graded to 2*. The overall design of the exterior, with its sensitive blend of brick, stone and flint, and the even finer interior, with its rood beam and screen framing the altar and reredos at the east end, made it a quite exceptional building.

Read More

Patcham, Brighton - St Thomas More

An interesting ‘modern’ church building with a pleasant and functional feel.  It would be interesting to know more about the architect David Ashdown and his relationship to Henry Bingham Towner.  Towner himself designed conventional simplified Gothic buildings but by the 1960s there may have been others in the practice.  Much of the churches interest derives from the geodesic dome, the work of the consulting engineer Simon Woolf.  

Read More

Petworth - The Sacred Heart

A good example of a church by F A Walters built to a generous budget.  

Read More

Polegate, Eastbourne - St George

A simple and unexceptional building, though in the local context it is of some merit, being constructed of local flint and standing on an eminence above the road.  It is a pity the design is quite so plain.  One wonders if more was intended.

Read More

Reigate - The Holy Family

The Holy Family, Reigate, is a worthy but slightly dour building.  The design is old fashioned for its date.  Nonetheless the tower and spire have a certain grandeur, the building is well crafted, and the church with its walled setting makes an important contribution to the street.

Read More

Rottingdean - Our Lady of Lourdes, Queen of Peace

One of Henry Bingham Towner’s better churches but nonetheless not special architecturally.  For its time it is very conservative in style.

Read More

Rustington - St Joseph

Not unattractive but of no particular architectural significance.          

Read More

Rye - St Anthony of Padua

An unusual church and very much a self conscious essay in early Lombardic Romanesque.  Complete and little altered.  

Read More

Seaford - St Thomas More

An attractive but unremarkable building architecturally, of some townscape merit.

                        

Read More

Selsey - Our Lady of Mount Carmel & St Wilfrid

A cheaply built church in reconstituted stone of clerestoreyed nave and sanctuary in one, aisles and projecting southwest tower with saddleback roof.

Read More

Sidley, Bexhill-on-Sea - Our Lady of the Rosary

The church stands in a commanding position at the junction of  Southlands Road and Ninfield Road.  Its portico frontage is impressive but for a 1950s church the design is by no means exceptional.

Read More

Slindon - St Richard

An attractive village church and satisfying essay in English gothic of c1300.  

Read More

St Leonards-on-Sea - St Thomas of Canterbury & English Martyrs

Other churches by  C A Buckler are listed and St Thomas of Canterbury is a good urban church, austere on the outside and richly decorated on the inside.  Whilst such decorative painted schemes were once fairly common, survival is rare.  

Read More

Staplefield - Our Lady of Fatima

As an early C19 Baptist chapel converted to a Roman Catholic Church the building, with its attached priests house, is of local interest.  

Read More

Storrington - Our Lady of England Priory

Edward Goldie, together with his father, designed a number of Catholic churches.  The best known is St James’ Spanish Place in London, thought to have been largely the work of Edward.  Edward’s son, Joseph, continued the Goldie dynasty after Edward’s death in 1921.  Our Lady of England, though a little old fashioned for 1902-09, is a fine building built to a relatively modest budget.  It groups well with the monastic buildings adjoining.  The whole complex is probably listable at Grade 2.

Read More

Sutton Park - St Edward the Confessor

St Edward the Confessor is a church of considerable architectural and historic interest.  It is also the repository of a rare collection of relics.  Standing in a fine parkland setting, its churchyard surrounded by flint walls, it makes an important contribution to the conservation area.  

Read More

Tadworth - St John the Evangelist

St John the Evangelist, Tadworth, appears to be a soundly built church, and one that serves its parish well.  

Read More

Thames Ditton - Our Lady of Lourdes

The Roman Catholic Church built a large number of churches in the years between 1953 and 1965 that experimented with new plans in order to achieve a closer relationship between, to put it very simply, God and man.  A centralized plan provides a less hierarchical setting for worship than the traditional plan of sanctuary and nave but also tends to lack focus (besides having the problem that part of the congregation may be seated behind the celebrant).  

Read More