Eastbourne - St Gregory

Victoria Drive, Eastbourne, East Sussex

title= title= title=

St Gregory’s was built to serve the growing northern suburbs of Eastbourne.  It was designed by A J M McDonough and Gordon Robins from the Eastbourne firm of B Stevens & Partners.  McDonough was the partner in the firm and Robins the chief assistant.  It was Robins who was responsible for the design for St Gregorys.  

A timber church was provided in 1934 at a cost of £1,000.  This still stands to the north of the present church.  The permanent church was built in 1965 at a cost of £43,000. 

The builders were C Bainbridge & Sons Ltd.  The opening of the church took place on 8th December 1966.  The church is modern in design, largely built of gault brick, with flint panels for the baptistery.  The side walls have vertical strip windows and full-height buttresses creating a castellated effect, with roof hidden behind a parapet.  The parapets were subsequently reduced in height as they were bowing.  The church is canted at either end and there is an open spire over the sanctuary.  On the south side there is a baptistery, facetted on plan and with alternate bands of glazing and flint panels, again producing a castellated effect at roof level.  Inside the church is plain and plastered, with the heavy concrete ribs of the roof structure exposed.  There is an internal porch with gallery over.  The sanctuary is lit by a south wall of coloured glass and a thin full-height strip of coloured glass in the centre of the east wall, where the two planes meet.  The glass was designed and made by monks at Buckfast Abbey.

Diocese: Arundel and Brighton

Architect: A J M McDonough & Gordon Robins of B Stevens & Partners

Original Date: 1966

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed