Haslemere - Our Lady of Lourdes

Derby Road, Haslemere, Surrey GU27 1BS

title= title= title=

This is not one of F A Walters’ best churches and, perhaps owing to lack of funds, may not have been finished in the manner intended.  The most interesting feature of the church are the stained glass windows designed by Geoffrey Webb.

The Church of Our Lady of Lourdes in Haslemere was designed by the well known Roman Catholic architect Frederick A Walters (for brief account of this architect and his work see Chilworth report) and built between 1923 and 1925.  It is a modest building and there is something unsatisfactory about the proportions of the west elevation.  The sanctuary and Lady Chapel to the east are much taller than the nave.  Perhaps the latter was not built as originally planned?

The plan of the church comprises sanctuary with Lady Chapel to the north, nave and north aisle.  The sanctuary has a timber barrel vault, the nave an open timber roof, the walls are whitewashed, and there is a painted reredos in the sanctuary.  The most notable fittings are the stained glass windows in the sanctuary and Lady Chapel designed by Geoffrey Webb in 1937.  

Diocese: Arundel and Brighton

Architect: F A Walters

Original Date: 1923

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed