Hersham - All Saints

Queens Road, Hersham, Walton-on-Thames, KT12 5LU

title= title= title=

All Saints, Hersham, has a light and pleasant interior but is not a building of great architectural merit.  As such it is not vulnerable to change in the case of any future plans for development.

The first mass was celebrated in the church in June, 1960, and the church officially opened by the Bishop of Southwark some five months later.  The architects were Tomei and Maxwell.  Lawrence Tomei (1910-1989) went into practice with John Maxwell after the 2nd World War.  The success of the firm was largely based on its service to the Roman Catholic Church.  It designed a large number of schools and churches in the south east of England, many of which were commissioned by the Archdiocese of Southwark.

All Saints’ is a large cruciform church of low budget, modern construction, built of brick and incorporating pre-fabricated panels.  It has a low-pitched roof, and continuous bands of clerestory windows in the side walls of the nave and transepts.  Inside the church, concrete ribs run up to support the exposed roof trusses.  When the church was first built a large painting of the Crucifixion, the work of John Berry of Surbiton, hung on the east wall of the chancel.  This is now in the south transept.

Diocese: Arundel and Brighton

Architect: Tomei and Maxwell

Original Date: 1960

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed