Horsham - St John the Evangelist

The Presbytery, 3 Springfield Road, Horsham, West Sussex RH12 2PJ

title= title= title= title=

A late use of the gothic revival and with none of the refinement or personality of earlier churches by Edward Goldie (cf Storrington).  

In 1865, Minna, Duchess of Norfolk built a church in Springfield Road (opposite the present church), one of the group of churches in honour of the five wounds of Our Lord.  It was designed by M E Hadfield.  This church was replaced by the present one in 1919-23 at a cost of £26,000.  Edward Goldie is given as the architect, although he was 63 in 1919 and he died in 1921, so it is more likely that Edward’s son Joseph was mainly responsible.  The nave opened in 1919 and Edward may be the architect for this part.  Edward Goldie (1856-1921) was articled to his father, George Goldie (1828-1887), and was in partnership with his father from 1880 until the latter’s death in 1887.  The practice was called Goldie, Child & Goldie.  Edward Goldie practiced on his own from 1893, until joined by his eldest son Joseph (1882-1953 in 1913. Probably Edward’s best-known work is St James’ Spanish Place, in London.  In Sussex he also designed St George’s Retreat in Burgess Hill (1905-6) and the Priory of Our Lady of Good Counsel at Haywards Heath (1890-7) as well as the priory at Storrington (1904).  Edward in turn took his son Joseph into partnership and Joseph continued the practice after his father’s death in 1921.  The firm continued as Edward Goldie & Son until it was wound up in 1953.  The sanctuary at Horsham was added and the church completed in 1923, with consecration following in 1927.  St John the Evangelist’s church is of rubble stone and ashlar dressings.  Low, of nave with small transept projections and sanctuary.  The nave side windows are plain and high up.  The west window, transept and sanctuary windows are Perpendicular gothic i.e. 14th-15th century. The interior is aisleless, with an all embracing hammerbeam roof.  The sanctuary is dominated by a colossal reredos of rock faced Horton stone with white stone dressings.  Tapestries  on either side depict a landscape of the Holy Land.

Venetian style presbytery and parish office 1994 by Wells-Thorpe & Partners.

Diocese: Arundel and Brighton

Architect: Edward Goldie and Joseph Goldie

Original Date: 1923

Conservation Area: Yes

Listed Grade: Not listed