Hurst Green, East Sussex - Our Lady Help of Christians

Station Road, Hurst Green

title= title=

Francis Pollen was an architect of intelligence and ingenuity who stood outside the mainstream of. Modern architecture.  His language varied enormously but was a language rooted in tradition.  The church at Hurst Green was a good example of an intelligent response to church building at a time of questioning and change both in architecture and in liturgy.  

The Church of Our Lady, Help of Christians was built on land given by Lord Longford and designed by Francis Pollen who went on to design the (now listed) chapel at Worth Priory.  The cost of the church at Hurst Green was £9,000.  The plan is a polygon attached to a semi circle, very much in line with contemporary thinking on changes in the liturgy.  The walls are of shiplap boarding between brick piers, originally all painted white.  Above each facet are triangles of glazing.  The roof was originally of copper but has been replaced with felt.  The semi circular part is of brick and supports a smaller drum on which rise the vestigial remains of a concave tower-like screen with a crucifix.  The church  suffered a fire and structural problems. 

Diocese: Arundel and Brighton

Architect: Francis Pollen

Original Date: 1959

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed