Keymer - St Edward the Confessor

2 Lodge Lane, Keymer, Hassocks, West Sussex BN6 8NA

title= title=

The church building is of no architectural distinction, although it provides a pleasant and light interior.  It was built to a modest budget, c£35,000.  Some good quality fittings.

The land on which St Edward the Confessor’s church stands was given by the Munster family in 1922.  From then until 1973 an Army hut on the site was used as the church.  During the 1960s various furnishings by the Guild of St Joseph & St Dominic were acquired. These include a silver communion bowl by Dunstan Pruden, silver crowns, the processional cross and a Calvary by Winifride Pruden, lime wood statues by Joseph Cribb.  These were all moved into the new church, opened on 6th April 1972.  A cheaply-built polygonal church.  More recent fittings include the bronze statue of the Risen Christ, 1992 by John Glazier, placed on the front of the presbytery..  Associated with a re-ordering of 1997 are the stone altar and stand for the tabernacle by David John.  In 1999 David John also designed the font and ambo.  Of c1999 is a stained glass window by Cox & Barnard of Hove.  The presbytery was built in 1985 and extended in 1990.

Diocese: Arundel and Brighton

Architect: Leo Hothersall of Bingham Towner & Partners

Original Date: 1973

Conservation Area: Yes

Listed Grade: Not listed