Lewes - St Pancras

The Presbytery, Irelands Lane, Lewes, East Sussex BN7 1QX

title= title= title=

A late and conventional use of the gothic revival. According to the compiler of the F A Walter’s Biographical File at the RIBA Library “After Edward joined his father as a partner [in the firm] the output became even more traditional and archaeological in outlook.”.  The church has some townscape merit and stands within the Lewes conservation area but is not listable.

A compact building on a tight corner site.  No tower, but nave and sanctuary with south transept, sacristy, aisle and porch building up on the south side to car park enclosed by boundary walls.  The church is of red brick with stone and flint dressings.  The flint is confined to buttresses and a chequer work frieze to the south aisle parapet.  The style is a very restrained and simplified gothic with the show reserved for the west front built hard up to the High Street.  Plain plastered interior. with a king post roof on corbels and a timber panelled barrel vault to the sanctuary.  Stained glass in north and east windows.  South window glass by Cox & Barnard 1989.   The earlier church on the site was built in 1870 and the presbytery from this church remains.

Diocese: Arundel and Brighton

Architect: Edward John Walters

Original Date: 1938

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed