Little Common, Bexhill-on-Sea - St Martha

Cooden Sea Road, Bexhill-on-Sea, East Sussex

title= title=

St Martha’s is an attractive building, if a little dour internally, with a distinctive west end that is a landmark in an outer suburb of Bexhill.  It has some townscape merit but is unlikely to merit inclusion on the statutory list. 

The foundation stone of St Martha’s was laid on August 11th 1939 and the building was completed the following year.  The cost was £7,114.  The architect is recorded as one Marshall Wood of Hooe (a village near Little Common).  It is a simple brick church but with a striking west (ritual) end reminiscent of Spanish or Italian Romanesque, though the tiled bell stage and pyramid roof give a distinctively Sussex flavour.  The base of the tower combine with the narthex into a single composition with soaring blind arches and a Calvary of crosses.  The single roof spanning nave and aisles, together with the aisle windows rising into dormers, contribute to the Sussex vernacular character.  Inside the nave forms the main space, with a short chancel and narrow aisles.

Diocese: Arundel and Brighton

Architect: Marshall Wood

Original Date: 1939

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed