Petworth - The Sacred Heart

The Presbytery, Angel Street, Petworth, West Sussex GU28 0BG

title= title=

A good example of a church by F A Walters built to a generous budget.  

Church. Built in 1896. Architect F A Walters. C14 Gothic. Stone. Slate roof.Gabled porch at west end of south front. Projecting aisle of one storey to east.Then gabled south transept with octagonal turret and tower with thin spire. Apsidal east end.

Presbytery: Contemporary with the Church. 1896. Architect F A Walters. Tudor style. Two storeys. Two windows. Stone rubble. Slate roof. Three light bay of two storeys with gable over. Gabled porch to west of this. Narrow sash windows. 

The church was paid for by Charles Willcock Dawes, who was anxious that no expense should be spared in its building.  His tomb is between the Lady Chapel and the sanctuary.  The cost was £15,000.  Dawes also paid for the presbytery.  The church has carved altars. Reredos, screens and other fittings designed by Walters.  The stained glass is mostly by Lavers & Westlake.  Brass by John Hardman & Co in memory of Rev Thomas Lalor who died in 1901.   Frederick Arthur Walters (1849-1931) was a pupil of George Goldie.  He was an important ecclesiastical architect, though not perhaps of the very first rank.  He was also very prolific, building more than forty Roman Catholic churches during the course of his life.  Buckfast Abbey in Devon is probably the building for which he is best known.

Diocese: Arundel and Brighton

Architect: F A Walters

Original Date: 1896

Conservation Area: Yes

Listed Grade: Grade II