Polegate, Eastbourne - St George

Eastbourne Road, Polegate, East Sussex (served from Hailsham)

title= title= title= title=

A simple and unexceptional building, though in the local context it is of some merit, being constructed of local flint and standing on an eminence above the road.  It is a pity the design is quite so plain.  One wonders if more was intended.

The church of St George’s is a simple gabled building of 1938, in flint with stone dressings.  Nave and sanctuary under a single roof and rectangular plan.  Gabled south porch oddly projecting westward beyond the nave.  Regular flat-arched windows of four four-centred-arched lights except the east and west windows which have more elaborate Gothic tracery, though still simple and stylised.  The interior has a canted ceiling over the single space.  Reference has been made to the architect being a Mr Hughes.  Could this be J O’Hanlon Hughes, the architect of St Thomas More Seaford built in 1935?

Diocese: Arundel and Brighton

Original Date: 1938

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed