Sidley, Bexhill-on-Sea - Our Lady of the Rosary

Southlands Road, Bexhill-on-Sea, East Sussex

title= title= title=

The church stands in a commanding position at the junction of  Southlands Road and Ninfield Road.  Its portico frontage is impressive but for a 1950s church the design is by no means exceptional.

Our Lady of the Rosary church was designed by Alex F Watson of the London practice Hannen & Markham in 1954.  On plan it is a simple rectangle but with an internal apse to the sanctuary behind which are the sacristies.  The west gable projects an additional bay and is supported on four massive piers.   The massive effect is heightened by the oversailing gable treated with the returns of an open pediment.  The piers are of reinforced brickwork and they support a reinforced concrete cranked beam.  The main space of the church is lit from a band of clerestory windows.  The walls are of hazel brown facing bricks and the internal joinery is hardwood.  The cost of the church was £12,372.

Diocese: Arundel and Brighton

Architect: Alex F Watson

Original Date: 1954

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed