Wadhurst - The Sacred Heart

The Priest’s Cottage, Mayfield Lane, East Sussex TN5 6DQ

title= title= title=

A curious building, simple but with a few architectural pretensions.  Of no more than local interest.

A curious design, a low-slung gabled rectangle, the nave windows rising into gabled dormers, and with a short tower on the south side close to the west end, with an overhanging pyramid roof and paired bell openings divided by short columns with cushion capitals.  All is in brick apart from the bell-opening columns and the round-arched west entrance with a much weathered shallowly carved tympanum.  A foundation stone is dated 27th June 1928 and the church was opened on 11th March 1929.  The sanctuary has no more than a shallow round-arched recess, the tympanum with a painted relief of kneeling angels either side of the risen Christ in a mandorla.  The interior is dominated by the heavy roof trusses and domestic style panelling around the walls.  Baptistry beneath the tower with a painted and gilded octagonal font.  The church was illustrated in the journal Brick Builder and described as ‘a homely little structure in excellent taste’.  The church was built by the Rosminian monks at The Mount, many of whom were Italian.

Diocese: Arundel and Brighton

Architect: E Bower Norris of Sandy & Norris

Original Date: 1929

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed