Walton-on-Thames - St Erconwald

Esher Avenue, Walton-on-Thames, KT12 2TA

title= title=

Although the west front has a certain drama, St Erconwald’s Church is not a building of much architectural refinement and certainly not one of sufficient quality to inhibit future development.  In addition to this, being set back from the road, it does not have much impact on the surrounding townscape.  

It was built in 1905 and the architect was Mr A Reckitt.  This small brick building was made into the parish hall when the central section of the present church was constructed in 1937.  The architect concerned was a local architect, Wallace J Gregory.  The porch with its two flanking blocks at the west end, ambulatory and further accommodation at the east end of the church, though planned by the architect, were not built until 1951.

The architectural massing of the west end, with its recessed porch surmounted by a statue, gives the exterior of this substantial brick church some visual interest.  Inside, the sanctuary is lined with grey variegated marble, there is stained glass in the three small windows to either side of the tall canopied reredos and the large window at the west end.  There is also some patterned glass in the windows of the nave.  Otherwise, however, the barn-like interior of this church remains largely unadorned.

Diocese: Arundel and Brighton

Architect: Wallace J Gregory

Original Date: 1937

Conservation Area: No

Modifications: 1951

Listed Grade: Not listed