West Hoathly - St Dunstan

St Dunstan, West Hoathly, West sussex

title= title=

A curiosity that continues to tell its unusual history through the unaltered front and the opened out interior.  The building makes a positive contribution to the character of the conservation area as a vernacular building rather than as a church.  

A 19th century domestic building with a shopfront.  The shop was last used as a butchers.  It was acquired a parishioner in 1957 and converted for use as a Roman Catholic Church, opening in 1958.  The conversion simply entailed the removal of internal walls and floors to create a single church space.  An open timber structure supports the walls and roof.  Externally all that tells the building is a church is a the name and a crucifix.

Diocese: Arundel and Brighton

Original Date: 1850

Conservation Area: Yes

Listed Grade: Not listed