Homily

A Brief Introduction to the Diocese of Arundel and Brighton

The Diocese of Arundel and Brighton has 140 churches (as of 2005). The cathedral is in Arundel and is dedicated to Our Lady and St Philip Howard. The Diocese of Arundel and was established on 28th May 1965, taking areas that were formerly part of the Archdiocese of Southwark. It covers Brighton and the counties of Surrey and East and West Sussex. It is a suffragan diocese in Province of Southwark, and is subject to the Archdiocese of Southwark.
 
The first Bishop of Arundel and Brighton was David Cashman, consecrated on 14th June 1965. The cathedral of the diocese was built in 1868 by Henry Fitzalan-Howard, 15th Duke of Norfolk, to designs by Joseph Hansom. It was originally a parish church and is next to Arundel Castle, the seat of the Dukes of Norfolk. It was originally dedicated to Our Lady and St Philip Neri, though in 1971 this was changed to Our Lady and St Philip Howard, in honour of the newly-canonised Philip Howard, 20th Earl of Arundel who died in the Tower of London in 1595 aged 38.

The diocesan website is here.

The Taking Stock review for Arundel and Brighton was completed in 2005.