Thorpe Bay - St Gregory

A  modest  chapel  built  in  the  1920s  in  connection  with  the  adjacent former convent.

Read More

Tilbury - Our Lady Star of the Sea

A substantial, functional Gothic church built to serve the workers of Tilbury Docks. The interior has been redecorated and the sanctuary re- ordered, but the exterior is little-altered and has some townscape presence and group value with the adjoining presbytery and convent.

Read More

Tiptree - St John Houghton

A self-build project of the late 1970s, directed by an architect and retired builder.

Read More

Upminster - St Joseph

A late Gothic Revival church of 1939, with a plain interior. It retains most of the original furnishings in the sanctuary and side chapels. Modern stained glass has been installed in the west and east windows. 

Read More

Upton Park - Our Lady of Compassion

An early-twentieth-century church by Robert Leabon Curtis in the Italian Romanesque style, with external and internal walls of banded brickwork. The building has an unusual plan with a western apse fronting the road. The interior retains much of its original character. The close proximity to the stadium of West Ham United Football Club emphasises the historical link between the church and the club.

Read More

Waltham Abbey - St Thomas More and St Edward

A utilitarian design, built in the 1970s as a Methodist church.

Read More

Walthamstow - Our Lady and St George

A large new church, built in 1995-96 after its predecessor burnt down. The  interior  is  a  successful  compromise  between  longitudinal  and central plan forms. The design, described by The Buildings of England as ‘impressive   and   unusual’,   was   awarded   a   Civic   Trust   Awards commendation.

Read More

Walthamstow - Our Lady of the Rosary

A church of the so-called ‘Ellis box’ type funded by Miss Frances Ellis and generally built in South London. Built in 1908 by one of Miss Ellis’s favourite architects, Fr Benedict Williamson, it was extended in 1930. A reordering in the 1980s removed most of the original furnishings.

Read More

Wanstead - Our Lady of Lourdes

A late Gothic Revival church of 1927-28 by Geoffrey Raymond of Scoles & Raymond. The aisles were added in 1934 and 1940. The church has lost  almost  all  of  its historic furnishings to modern reordering, but these have been replaced by modern furnishings of high quality by Michael Clarke, Mark Cazalet and others.

Read More

Warley - Holy Cross and All Saints

A small but unexpectedly rich stone-built church in transitional Romanesque-Early Gothic style, built for the soldiers at Warley barracks. The church was largely financed by Countess Tasker of Middleton Hall, Brentwood, and the architect was her cousin, Francis W. Tasker. 

Read More

Westcliffe-on-Sea - Our Lady of Help of Christians and St Helen

A High Victorian Gothic church by the local architect Thomas Goodman, with carvings by Thomas Earp. The design is in the manner of E. W. Pugin, and was completed over thirty years after opening.  The church forms part of a good group of late nineteenth and early twentieth- century parish buildings, including a presbytery by Leonard Stokes.

Read More

Wickford - Our Lady of Good Counsel

A post-Vatican II church by the prolific firm of Burles, Newton & Partners, its internal plan and design more interesting than many of their designs. The church retains most of its original furnishings.

Read More

Witham - The Holy Family and All Saints

A former Anglican church of the 1840s in lancet Gothic style, built as a chapel of ease to the medieval parish church. Converted to Catholic use in 1989, this is a notable example of how a redundant Gothic Revival Anglican church of the nineteenth century might be converted to serve the modern needs of the Roman Catholic Church.  

Read More

Woodford Green - St Thomas of Canterbury

A large Early English Gothic church by Canon A. J. C. Scoles, who also designed   the   adjacent   Franciscan   friary.   The   benefactress   was Henrietta  Pelham-Clinton,  Dowager  Duchess  of  Newcastle,  who  is buried in the church.  The church has a stately interior, but reordering in 1976 removed many of the principal furnishings. 

Read More