Chingford - Christ the King

A modern church of 1996 on a semicircular plan with a separate Blessed Sacrament Chapel. The bell tower is a local landmark.

Read More

Chingford - Our Lady of Grace and St Teresa of Avila

A late church in the Arts & Crafts tradition, built in 1931 with additions of 1939 and 1955-56. It was a thank-offering by the convert George W. Martyn who designed and built the church and presbytery. The timber- framed south porch was carved by Donald Potter, a pupil of Eric Gill. The overall quality of materials and decoration is high. 

Read More

Chlemsford - Our Lady Immaculate

A stone-built Early English Gothic design by J. J. Scoles, one of the leading Catholic architects of the mid-nineteenth century. The stained glass by Wailes adds to its architectural interest. The building has been altered and its interior twice re-ordered. The church makes a positive contribution to the New London Road Conservation Area.

Read More

Clacton-on-Sea - Our Lady of Light and St Osyth

A striking neo-Norman design of the early twentieth century by F. W. Tasker, built to house the national shrine of Our Lady of Light. The external massing of the church makes a major contribution to the local conservation area, and the vaulted interior impresses equally. Reordering has left the sanctuary somewhat bare but the church retains many furnishings of interest.

Read More

Clayhall - St John Vianney

A   large   modern   church   of   functional   design   by   Donald   Plaskett Marshall. A reordering by Austin Winkley in 1983 created a weekday chapel and introduced modern sanctuary furnishings of some quality.

Read More

Coggeshall - St Bernard

A simple but characterful prefabricated structure of the 1920s, extended in similar vein in the 1960s. The chapel lies within the Coggeshall Conservation Area.

Read More

Colchester (Mile End) - St Joseph

A simple post-war structure, of no architectural or historic significance. The church is a chapel-of-ease, served from St James the Less, Colchester.

Read More

Colchester (Monkwick) - St Theodore

Autilitarian design of the 1960s, like West Mersea built as a dual - purpose church and hall. It is a chapel-of-ease, served from St James the Less, Colchester.

Read More

Colchester (West Mersea) - St Cedd and St Gregory

A utilitarian design of the 1960s, built as a dual-purpose church and hall. It is a chapel-of-ease, served from St James the Less, Colchester.

Read More

Colchester - St James the Less and St Helen

A church of the 1830s in Norman style by J. J. Scoles, a leading Catholic architect of the middle years of the nineteenth century. The choice of Norman may have been influenced by the proximity of the Romanesque ruins of St Botolph’s Priory (next to which the Anglican church of St Botolph, also neo-Norman in style, was built at the same time). 

Read More

Collier Row - Corpus Christi

A plain church in a free interpretation of Italian Romanesque, old- fashioned for its date (built at the time of the Second Vatican Council). The architect was Wilfrid Mangan, who built prolifically for the Catholic Church, usually in variations on a Romanesque or Basilican theme. The church retains several of its original furnishings, including a number of stained glass windows, some of which are by Goddard & Gibbs.

Read More

Custom House - St Anne

A modern (1980s) and functional octagonal church built on the site of an earlier church and entered through the porch doorway of the earlier building.

Read More

Dagenham - Holy Family

A modest but well-designed church in free Gothic style by W. C. Mangan, who designed a large number of Catholic churches, including St Peter’s at Dagenham (which is in his more familiar free Romanesque style).

Read More

Dagenham - St Anne

A functional church of the late 1950s which is not without some architectural interest in the handling of the glazing.

Read More

Dagenham - St Peter

A substantial red brick church of the 1930s by W. C. Mangan in his favoured Italian Lombard style, with a broad basilican interior restored in 2005.

Read More

Danbury - English Martyrs

A simple 1960s place of worship, with recent additions.

Read More

Debden - St Thomas More

A plain church, originally a multi-purpose church hall. Debden used to be a separate parish but, due to dwindling congregations, has been re- united  with  Loughton.  The  church  has stained  glass  by  Goddard  & Gibbs.

Read More

Doddinghurst - St Margaret of Scotland

A functional multi-purpose hall with a screened-off sanctuary. It is of little architectural or historic significance.

Read More

Dunmow - Our Lady and St Anne Line

A modern dual-purpose church and hall of utilitarian design.

Read More

East Ham - St Michael

A large portal-frame church of the 1950s by John Newton, with some jazzy detailing.

Read More