Eastwood - St Peter

A modern church of the early 1970s, with the emphasis on the main top-lit worship space and a minimum of external display.

Read More

Elm Park - St Alban

A large post-war church apparently inspired by San Zeno, Verona. The unusual plan was designed to ensure a clear view of the sanctuary: the two transepts and nave are dissolved internally into a single space. The tower and the location at the end of a vista give the church townscape value.

Read More

Epping - The Immaculate Conception

A plain post-war neo-Georgian church which makes a positive contribution to the Epping conservation area. The presbytery is a listed building dating from the eighteenth century or earlier.

Read More

Forest Gate - St Anthony of Padua

A large and handsome church of the 1880s by the Pugin firm, forming part of a former Franciscan Friary complex.  The interior is somewhat less richly fitted than it was before the re-ordering of the later 1960s but is still an impressive architectural space.

Read More

Frinton-on-Sea - Sacred Heart and St Francis

A characterful early-twentieth century building of mock-Tudor design, by local architect William Hayne. It was built as a public hall, becoming a Catholic church in the 1920s. 

Read More

Gidea Park - Christ the Eternal High Priest

A post-Vatican II centrally-planned church, built by Lanner of Wakefield to one of their standard designs.

Read More

Goodmayes - St Cedd

A handsome Arts and Crafts former Methodist church of 1904, with a galleried  interior  with  hammerbeam roof,  attached hall  and  Sunday school. The church opened as St Cedd’s Catholic church in 1966 and is said to have been the first Methodist church to be sold to the Catholic Church.

Read More

Grays - St Thomas of Canterbury

A substantial, economically-built church of the 1880s, serving what was at the time of construction the largest mission territory in the Archdiocese of Westminster. The church is in a diluted Gothic style, with a  hall  (originally  a  school)  on  the  ground  floor  and  the  church occupying the whole of the upper floor.

Read More

Great Bardfield - The Holy Spirit

The chapel is in an upper room, created within a house built in 1955 and extended in 1969. Externally, while there are signs of its intended use (in part) as a church, the character is primarily residential. The building is close to the historic core of the village, by the medieval Anglican parish church.

Read More

Great Wakering - St Edmund of Canterbury (chapel of witness)

A modest hall/chapel of the 1960s, built economically to serve a rural community. The building is now a day nursery and is not in ecclesiastical use.

Read More

Greenstead - St John Payne

A modern, functional design, serving a post-war estate. The church is dedicated to St John Payne, martyred at Chelmsford in 1582.

Read More

Hadleigh - St Thomas More

A bold, simple and economical modern design by the Essex architect Kenneth Cheeseman, who also designed the stained glass.

Read More

Halstead - St Francis of Assisi

A modest post-war brick church in simplified Romanesque style, built with  support  from Dr  Richard Courtauld. Externally,  the  building  is given some presence by the square brick tower, incorporating a bas- relief carving of St Francis by Philip Lindsey Clark. Internally, the church retains an original arched baldacchino, incorporating good stained glass by Rosemary Rutherford.

Read More

Harlow - Church of the Assumption

A modest church, originally a multi-purpose hall, built in a vernacular style with neo-Georgian details. The benefactors were Newman Gilbey and his wife. The most significant furnishing is the altar painting of the Nativity, an eighteenth-century copy of a painting by Rubens. 

Read More

Harlow - Holy Cross

A large modern church which retains several of its original furnishings including an aluminium corona.

Read More

Harlow - Our Lady of Fatima

A striking modern church by Gerard Goalen. It is notable for its dalle de verre stained glass by Dom Charles Norris and (the designs dating from 1956) as one of the earliest churches in England to be influenced by the Liturgical Movement.

Read More

Harlow - St Thomas More

A large modern church with a high peak roof, such as enjoyed a vogue in the mid-1960s. It was planned as part of an ensemble of buildings of contrasting  forms, including the  hall and the  much altered detached tower. The church is now served from Our Lady of Fatima, Harlow.

Read More

Harold Hill - Most Holy Redeemer

A large modern church of portal frame construction.

Read More

Harold Hill - St Dominic

A modern church of conventional plan. Due to the absence of an aisle arcade, the sanctuary is visible to everyone. Of particular note among the furnishings is the west window.

Read More

Harwich and Dovercourt - Our Lady Queen of Heaven

A utilitarian design of the 1950s, replacing and incorporating some furnishings from an E. W. Pugin church of 1869, which was damaged in the floods of 1953 and subsequently demolished.

Read More