Hatfield Broad Oak - Our Lady of Lourdes

A simple Congregational chapel of the 1860s, converted to Catholic use in the 1950s.

Read More

Haulault - The Assumption

A brick church in the Early Christian style built in the early 1950s. The design is very similar to one used by the same architect at the larger and slightly later church at Barkingside. It has a few furnishings carved by Joseph Cribb, a pupil of Eric Gill’s, which survived the re- ordering of the 1970s-80s.

Read More

Hockley - St Pius X

A  functional  multi-purpose  building.

Read More

Holland-on-Sea - All Souls

A plain modern design, similar to its companion church of All Saints, Jaywick.

Read More

Hornchurch - English Martyrs

A modest church of 1954-55 with stained glass by Goddard & Gibbs of 1981.

Read More

Hornchurch - St Mary Mother of God

A 1930s Gothic Revival church which has been extensively reordered. The church commemorates the 1500th anniversary of the confirmation of the Marian title ‘Mother of God’ in 431. The current furnishings of sanctuary and chapels largely date from the reordering of 2008.

Read More

Hutton and Shenfield - St Joseph the Worker

A modern church with a stark exterior of mostly blind walls. It retains several of the original furnishings.

Read More

Ilford - St John the Baptist

A large modern church with an attached belltower. Below the church are  a  hall  and  a  car  park.  The  sanctuary  furnishings,  including  the prize-winning altar and ambo, were transferred from Brentwood Cathedral in 1990. Two stained glass windows are by Patrick Reyntiens.

Read More

Ilford - St Mary and St Erconwald

A functionally-designed combined church and hall of the early 1970s.

Read More

Ilford - St Peter and Paul

A large church of 1898-99 with a stone front and northwest tower. The aisles and the tower were added later. The aisle windows are filled with stained glass. 

Read More

Ingatestone - St John the Evangelist and St Ercowald

A 1930s neo-Tudor brick church, its design reflecting that of nearby Ingatestone Hall, the chapel of which served the oldest mission in the Diocese. The benefactors were Sebastian Henry Petre and T.G. Havers. The church has several memorials to members of the Petre family and contains furnishings from the Hall chapel. There are several stained glass windows by Reginald Hallward, and Morris & Co. (who used cartoons by Burne-Jones and J.H. Dearle). 

Read More

Jaywick - All Saints

Autilitarian modern design and companion church to the similar All Souls, Holland-on-Sea, containing some furnishings formerly in the Cathedral .

Read More

Kelveden - St Mary Immaculate and the Holy Archangel

A small Gothic church of the 1890s, extended in the early twentieth century. The interior is charming and intimate, and contains a number of furnishings of note, including stained glass by Lavers and Westlake. 

Read More

Leigh-on-Sea - Our Lady of Lourdes and St Joseph

An idiosyncratic Gothic church of the 1920s, very much a personal work by the parish priest Fr F. W. Gilbert, but closely following the design of Charles Nicholson’s church of St Alban at Westcliff-on-Sea. The church was  sympathetically  extended  in  the  1960s.  The  interior  is  rich  in fittings, some designed by Fr Gilbert.

Read More

Lexden - St John the Baptist

A simple brick structure of the early 1960s, one of several chapels-of- ease built to serve the post-war suburban expansion of Colchester.

Read More

Lexden - St Theresa of Lisieux

A striking pre-cast concrete frame design of 1971, with a dramatic and well-lit interior, lively modulation of wall surfaces and some furnishings and artworks of note.

Read More

Leyton - St Joseph

A brick-built basilican church built as a First World War memorial in 1924.  The  interior  was  starkly  reordered  in  1978,  but  some  original furnishings survive, including part of the former high altar. The east end has several copies of Italian Renaissance masterpieces, including a modern copy of Michelangelo’s Creation. 

Read More

Loughton - St Edmund of Canterbury

A   modern   church   with   some   features   inspired   by   Basil   Spence’s Coventry   Cathedral.   It   has   several   furnishings   of   high   quality, including glass by John Hutton and sculpture by Philip and Michael Lindsey Clark and John Skelton.

Read More

Maldon - Assumption of our Lady

A Geoffrey Raymond church of the mid-1920s, built in the late Gothic Revival manner popularised by architects such as E. P. Warren and Walter Tapper, with an unassuming red brick exterior and an attractive wagon-roofed interior. The church makes a positive contribution to the Maldon Conservation Area.

Read More

Manor Park - St Nicholas

A small, picturesquely-composed Gothic church of the late 1860s built originally as the chapel of a Catholic Industrial School to the designs of Gilbert Blount. Despite alterations, much of the original character remains.

Read More