Newbury Park - St Teresa

A small 1950s church in a simple round-arched style, notable for works by Gill’s pupil Joseph Cribb, including the Stations, a statue and the foundation stone.

Read More

Ongar - St Helen

A small Gothic Revival church built in 1868-69 under the patronage of the twelfth Lord Petre and Countess Tasker, sympathetically extended and re-orientated in the 1970s. The church makes a positive contribution to the Chipping Ongar Conservation Area.

Read More

Rainham - Our Lady of La Salette

A large 1960s church with a high peak triangular section on a low rectangular base, built to serve the reformed liturgy. Served by the Missionaries of La Salette, it contains several furnishings, including stained glass, decorated with iconography related to Our Lady of La Salette. 

Read More

Rayleigh - Our Lady of Ransom

A church of the 1930s, completed in sympathetic manner in the 1960s. Externally this is a conventional Italian Romanesque design, while the basilican interior is powerful and austere.

Read More

Rochford - St Teresa of the Child Jesus

The  church  is  a  functional  and  economical  octagonal  design  of  the 1970s. It lies behind the presbytery, a listed timber-framed building.

Read More

Romford - St Edward the Confessor

A Puginian Gothic church of 1856 by Daniel Cubitt Nichols. The church was built under the patronage of William, twelfth Lord Petre, and is a rare and fairly complete example of a mid-nineteenth century gentry- funded rural Catholic church. Later additions and alterations are designed in sympathy with the church and are in some cases of quality in their own right.

Read More

Saffron Walden - Our Lady of Compassion

Converted in the early years of the twentieth century from a late medieval barn. The early twentieth-century additions are somewhat in the manner of Leonard Stokes. Early twenty-first century additions include the addition of a low tower and a rich and colourful sanctuary reordering. The interior retains the exposed medieval frame, much altered  and  restored,  and  some  artworks  of  note.  

Read More

Shoeburyness - St George and the English Martyrs

A large and rather utilitarian brick church of the 1930s, with a striking and original west front.

Read More

Silver End - St Mary

An interesting design of the 1960s, built on a budget to allow for later extension. It is on the edge of an inter-war model village, built for the workers at Crittall & Co.

Read More

South Ockendon - The Holy Cross

A well-designed post-war church of traditional form by H. Bingham Towner, an established architect of Catholic churches.   The statue of Christ over the west door and the foundation stone are by Joseph Cribb, a pupil of Eric Gill’s. The re-ordering of the sanctuary has deprived the interior of its original visual focus but otherwise the building is little- altered.

Read More

South Woodford - St Anne Line

A post-Vatican II church on an octagon-within-a-square-plan. The most significant furnishing is the  statue of St Anne  Line  by Joseph Cribb, which has now been moved inside the church.

Read More

Southend-on-Sea - St John Fisher

A  simple  cruciform church of  the  1960s by  the  local  architect  David Rodney Burles, externally fairly plain, but with an attractive, light interior.

Read More

Southend-on-Sea - The Sacred Heart

A relatively modest brick Gothic building of 1910 by the little-known architect B. R. Parkes. The church forms a good local group with the contemporary presbytery and parish hall. An intended northwest tower was never completed and the interior of the church has been altered.

Read More

Springfield - St Augustine of Canterbury

As built in the 1980s, this small and utilitarian design is of note less for its  architecture  and  more  as  an  ecumenical  building  project,  the building  being  shared  by  Catholics,  Anglicans,  Methodists  and  the United  Reformed  Church.  In  2007  it  was  greatly  enlarged  with  a striking free-form bronze-clad addition.

Read More

Stanford-le-Hope - Our Lady and St Joseph

A modern (1992) centrally-planned church replacing an earlier building destroyed by fire. The low, broad tower is prominent in the locality.

Read More

Stansted - St Theresa of Lisieux

A  new  church,  designed  to evoke  the  great  aisled  medieval  barns  of Essex, reflecting its location in a sensitive semi-rural setting.   The building manages to combine an intimate liturgical layout with a linear form, and the interior is enriched by some notable artworks by Stephen Foster.

Read More

Stifford Clays - St Peter

A functional concrete-framed building of the 1950s, with no architectural pretensions.

Read More

Stock - Our Lady and St Joseph

A former school with attached schoolmaster’s accommodation, built from designs by Peter Paul Pugin in the 1890s at the expense of the Gillow family of nearby Lilystone Hall. The building was converted to a church in 1937. It contains a number of historic furnishings of note from the chapel at Lilystone Hall. 

Read More

Stratford - St Francis of Assisi

Stratford is one of the older Catholic missions in the diocese, having been established by 1770. The present church was built as a combined school and chapel in the 1860s, in a stripped Classical style reminiscent in some respects of Nonconformist chapels of the period, though with Italianate detailing. The sanctuary addition of 1931 has a marble altar and reredos incorporating a sixteenth-century painting of St Francis by Bartolommeo Carducci. 

Read More

Thaxted - The English Martyrs

A post-war prefabricated structure, not of architectural or historic significance. The church occupies a fairly large site on a back street outside the historic core of Thaxted.

Read More