Basildon - St Therese of Lisieux

Florence Way, Laindon, Basildon, Essex SS16

title= title=

A pleasant modern (1991) design in a traditional, almost vernacular, idiom. The octagonal church is the centrepiece of a complex with a presbytery and hall.

A Mass centre at Laindon was established in 1915, served from Billericay. The first church was opened in November 1925, and was the Catholic chapel from the Empire Exhibition at Wembley, relocated by Fr Higley of Limehouse to serve Catholics from the East End of London who had settled in the Laindon area. A second (additional) church opened in 1971. The present church was built on a new site, and was opened in December 1991. It was consecrated in May 1992.

The  church  is  part  of  a  modern  complex  of  buildings  with  a  vaguely vernacular character and all built of white brick with artificial slate roof coverings. It is octagonal on plan with a conical roof. Entrance to the building is by a large projecting porch with glazed sides and a pitched roof. On either side of the porch are single-storey links to the two-storey presbytery and to a substantial hall with a hipped roof. At the rear of the building two sides have broad triple windows with segmental heads while the other sides are blind.

The interior is a straightforward octagonal space with bare brick walls and a tented ceiling with the laminated roof timbers exposed. The sanctuary is on a raised dais on the side opposite the entrance.

Diocese: Brentwood

Original Date: 1991

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed