Brightlingsea - St Monica

De Vere Lane, Wivenhoe, Essex CO7

title= title=

The church is a modern prefabricated structure, of no architectural or historical significance. However, the site is of local historical interest, being that of the former kitchen garden of Wivenhoe Hall, demolished in1927. The red brick side and rear boundary walls survive from this former use.

Wivenhoe has been served from Brightlingsea since 1965, soon after the establishment of that parish. Before that it was served by the Diocesan Travelling Mission (1953-62), and by a priest who came from St James the Less, Colchester (1962-65). The present church is a simple prefabricated structure, opened on 20 April 1967 and dedicated to St Monica, mother of St Augustine.

The land upon which the church is built was once the kitchen garden to Wivenhoe Hall, a seventeenth-century manor house on the west side of the High Street which belonged to the Dutch Corsellis family. This house was demolished in 1927, but various ancillary structures survive, including Wivenhoe Hall Cottage, to the south at 103 High Street (a grade II listed building) and the red brick side and rear boundary walls to St Monica‚Äôs, the former of which (according to the parish website) bears a plaque bearing the initials NCC (Nicholas Caesar Corsellis) and the date 1834.

New metal railings and entrance gates were erected along the front boundary in 2000, the gates bearing the words DOMUS DEI PORTA CAELI.

The church is a modern prefabricated structure, clad in cedar wood boarding and with a flat felt roof. The interior has not been inspected.

Diocese: Brentwood

Architect: Not Applicable

Original Date: 1967

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed