Canning Town - St Margaret and All Saints

Barking Road, Canning, London E16

title= title=

A brick Gothic church of the 1870s which was substantially rebuilt in the late 1940s after war damage.

The first Catholic church in Canning town opened in 1859, a second in 1865.  Initially served  from  Stratford, a  separate  mission  was  founded  in  1870  and  the  present church built in 1875-76 to the designs of F. W. Tasker. The cost of the church was £3,300 (excluding the tower); donors included Miss Helen Tasker (cousin of thearchitect), Cardinal Manning and the Duke of Norfolk.

The utilitarian presbytery attached to the south side of the church was added in 1884 to Tasker’s design.  The east end of the church was damaged by bombing in 1940 and1941 and the church school attached to the north side was destroyed.  The church was restored in 1949-51 by T.G.B. Scott.

The  church  is  faced  with  yellow  stock  brick.  The  plan  comprises  a  nave  with northwest tower, tall north and south aisles and an apsidal east end. The front to the street has a tall west gable with large rose window with a five-pointed star in the tracery. The  tower is square  on plan with a pyramidal roof.   The  lower  stage  is windowless, while the rebuilt tall upper stage has a single slit window on each face. Behind the west gable the pitched roof extends for only one bay. Eastwards is a roof of lower pitch behind a parapet - presumably a post-war alteration. There are three lancet windows high in the aisle walls and two more in the eastern apse.

Internally the nave is of three tall bays of pointed bare brick arches on painted stone shafted piers.  The lower parts of the walls are plastered and painted with arcading. A western  gallery  was  inserted  in  1899  and  extends  into  the  passage  aisles  in  the western bay of the nave.  The apse has a vaulted roof with a central rib. The marble facing of the walls below the windows is a post-war addition. The windows are clear glazed throughout.

Diocese: Brentwood

Architect: F.W. Tasker; T.G.B. Scott

Original Date: 1875

Conservation Area: No

Modifications: 1949

Listed Grade: Not listed