Colchester (West Mersea) - St Cedd and St Gregory

Barfield Road, West Mersea, Essex CO5

title= title=

A utilitarian design of the 1960s, built as a dual-purpose church and hall. It is a chapel-of-ease, served from St James the Less, Colchester.

A Mass centre was established on Mersea Island in 1949, and the present church opened in 1962. Its architects have not been established, but similarities to the attributed church at Monkwick (qv), suggest that the design is by Burles & Newton of Southend-on-Sea.

The church is built of Fletton brick, with faceted concrete block panels on the front elevation. The roof is of concrete tiles, and the church is lit by a clerestory on the flank elevation and a glazed gable on the (ritual) west front. The windows and fascias have largely been renewed in UPVC. The entrance is via modern hardwood door into a side range with a flat felt roof. The interior has not been inspected.

Diocese: Brentwood

Architect: Burles & Newton (unconfirmed attribution)

Original Date: 1962

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed