Hockley - St Pius X

Southend Road, Hockley, Essex SS5

title= title= title=

A  functional  multi-purpose  building.

This dual-purpose church and hall was opened in 1956 and dedicated to St Pius X, who had been canonised two years earlier. It was served from Rayleigh until 2005 and is now served from Rochford.

A very simple dual-purpose church/hall building with brick walls, part rendered, and a continuous low-pitched roof covered in steel sheet. The west end gable wall is of buff-coloured brick and has a single storey flat-roofed forebuilding containing the entrance porch. The rendered side walls are of five bays divided by pilaster strips with rectangular casement windows in each bay.

The interior has plastered walls and clear glazing. The timber main trusses of the roof are exposed and the ceiling above the trusses is boarded and painted. The sanctuary area in the eastern bay is divided from the rest of the building by large timber sliding doors. The furnishings are simple with stacking chairs to allow for varied uses.

Diocese: Brentwood

Original Date: 1956

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed