Newbury Park - St Teresa

Eastern Avenue, Newbury Park, London IG2

title= title=

A small 1950s church in a simple round-arched style, notable for works by Gill’s pupil Joseph Cribb, including the Stations, a statue and the foundation stone.

The foundation stone for the present church was laid on 28 July 1951 by Bishop Beck and the  church  opened  on  22  March  1952.  The  architect  was  Donald  Plaskett Marshall and the  contractors  Messrs  J.  Leary &  Sons  of  Stratford. The  site  cost £4,300 and the church building £9,000. Having been initially served by St Peter & St Paul, Ilford, the parish of Newbury Park was erected in 1954. Canon Palmer of Ilford (died 1948) left £2,000 in his will for Newbury Park, most of which was used for the construction of the parish hall in 1956.

In 1960 the west gallery was inserted, followed by the installation of the current font three years later. In 1968, the church was re-ordered with some new furnishings. Two years later, the altar rails were removed.

The church is actually facing southeast. This description uses the conventional, liturgical orientation.

It is built in a simple round-arched style, using red brick in Flemish bond with tile details and a tiled roof. The plan is rectangular. The sacristy is at the east, occupying a shallow gabled bay which is lower than the main pitched roof and an attached porch. The main facade at the west is dominated by a full-height recessed arch encompassing the doors and two arched windows above. On either side are small straight-headed  windows  with  relieving  arches  in  brick.  Both  gables  have  teak crosses.

The interior is six bays long with no division between chancel and nave. The internal walls are of exposed brick with arched windows. The panelled ceiling is segmental in form, with modern brass chandeliers. The timber panelled gallery at the west has the papal arms on the front.

Several furnishings are of particular note, having been carved by Joseph Cribb (1892-1967), a pupil of Eric Gill:

•     The foundation stone in the narthex, 1951

•     The statue of St Teresa of Lisieux, 1958

•     The fine stone stations (stylistic attribution)

At the east wall, two arched doors on either side lead into the sacristy, of which the southern one is permanently closed with the tabernacle in front of it. Beside it is a piscina executed entirely in clay tiles. The Portland stone altar, the tabernacle on a brick stand and the crucifix of Christ the Eternal High Priest all date from the reordering in 1968. (A canopy of 1968 was later removed.) The fine circular font of green Tinos marble dates from 1963 and was moved from the west to the northeast in 1968. Mirroring the statue of St Teresa beside the font is a more modern statue of Our Lady at the southeast.

Diocese: Brentwood

Architect: Donald Plaskett Marshall

Original Date: 1951

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed