Stifford Clays - St Peter

Whitmore Avenue, Stifford Clays, Essex RM16

title= title=

A functional concrete-framed building of the 1950s, with no architectural pretensions.

A Mass centre served from Grays was opened at Stifford Clays in 1956.  The present church was opened in 1958. The architect (if there was one) has not been established, but the building bears some similarities to Burles & Newton’s later church at Monkwick, Colchester. The church is served from Grays.

A  very  simple  functional  church,  essentially  a  single  rectangular  space  under  a pitched roof.  The building is constructed with concrete portal frames, the walls are clad in red brick laid in stretcher bond and the roof is covered in steel. The west end has a central panel of flint squares and a four-light window in the gable. The south side has a continuous strip of window at the wall-head. The north side is similar but with a projecting west porch and a small sacristy at the east end.  All the windows in the side walls are UPVC. The east wall is blind with a central panel of grey brick.

The interior is a single undivided space. The west wall has bare-faced brickwork but the other walls are plastered. The roof trusses are exposed and the ceiling between them is boarded. The fittings are modest. The benches may be original but the timber altar appears to date from the 1970s.

Diocese: Brentwood

Original Date: 1958

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed