Article

A Brief Introduction to the Diocese of Brentwood

The Diocese of Brentwood has 115 churches (as of 2012). The cathedral is in Brentwood and is dedicated to St Mary and St Helen. The Diocese of Brentwood was founded on 20th July 1917 out of territory formerly in the Archdiocese of Westminster. It covers the county of Essex, including the unitary authorities of Thurrock and Southend-on-Sea and the east London Boroughs of Barking and Dagenham, Havering, Newham, Redbridge and Waltham Forest. It is a suffragan diocese of the Archdiocese of Westminster in the Province of Westminster.

This diocese has a strong history of recusancy, in particular with the Petre family of Ingatestone Hall housing chaplains, and the ports of Harwich and the Hythe at Colchester being important for the arrival of priests. The cathedral was rebuilt in the 1970s, though inadequately, and so a new cathedral, funded by an anonymous donation, was opened on the same site in 1991.

The diocesan website is here.

The Taking Stock review for Brentwood was completed in 2012.