Amesbury - Christ the King

Lords Croft, Amesbury, Wiltshire, SP4

title= title=

The church forms part of a complex created in 1985 by enlarging and adapting the existing mid-twentieth-century buildings on the site. The church space is simple and functional, the chief furnishings of note being the sanctuary glass by Henry Haig.

The parish was established in 1933, when a site off the London Road containing a shop and bungalow was purchased and the buildings adapted by Roberts & Willman of Taunton to serve as a church and presbytery. A parish hall was added in 1934 and additional land acquired in 1944 and 1945 for a church. At about the same time the parish hall was destroyed by fire but was soon rebuilt. In the mid-1980s, ideas of building a new church were abandoned and the existing premises were enlarged and converted to provide a worship space and parish centre. 

The church forms part of a complex of simple modern single-storey buildings, all faced with red brick laid in stretcher bond and with a mixture of flat roofs and slate-covered pitched roofs. The church forms the eastern side of the complex and is rectangular on plan with a continuous pitched roof and with a shallow flat-roofed bow on the west side. There are large modern windows in the north wall and slit windows in the bow.

Internally, the church is a single space with a small sanctuary in the western bow.  The walls are plain plastered and all the fittings are modern. The glass in the sanctuary (‘Jesus Christ the Apple Tree’ and ‘The Firmament’ of 1985, three lights each) is by Henry Haig, who also designed the large dalle de verre windows at Clifton Cathedral. There is also a stained glass roundel of Our Lady Annunciate set into one of the clear glass windows on the north side of the church.  

Diocese: Clifton

Architect: Not established

Original Date: 1985

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed