South Petherton - St Michael

Lightgate Road, South Petherton, Somerset, TA13

title=

A post-war chapel-of-ease of temporary character which has been given a more permanent look by the rebuilding of the gable end in stone, incorporating a window by John Reyntiens.

In 1934, a Mass centre served from Yeovil was set up in Knapp House, South Street. By the 1945, this had become too small and the British Legion Hall was used. The architect Peter J. W. Ware prepared plans for the conversion of the stables at Knapp House, but these were not realised. In October 1961, Bishop Rudderham opened the present church, which was built from designs by A. B. Grayson of Wincanton.

In 2008-09, the sale of part of the large site funded the rebuilding of the west elevation, incorporating a stained glass window by John Reyntiens (whose father Patrick is a parishioner). At the same time, an octagonal hall was added, opening in November 2009 (architect: James Fox). The church continues to be served from Yeovil.

The church is a lightweight portal-framed timber structure with a tiled roof. The west elevation (formerly with a glazed gable) was rebuilt in Ham Hill stone in 2009, with a circular gable window. The plan is longitudinal with a small flat-roofed sacristy projecting at the northeast and a confessional off the south side. The side elevations have clerestory window bands and oblong sanctuary windows. The portal-framed interior is divided into four bays. The sanctuary furnishings are of timber and include altar rails. Above the altar hangs a canopy. At the west end is a stained glass window by John Reyntiens (2009), above a carving of St Michael by Jozef Mesar, a Slovakian parishioner. The Stations of the Cross are circular reliefs.

Diocese: Clifton

Architect: A. B. Grayson

Original Date: 1961

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed