Whaddon - Holy Family

Southampton Road, Whaddon, Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP5

title= title=

A small former Methodist chapel of the 1880s, acquired and adapted for Catholic use in 1990. The exterior has some modest architectural interest but the interior is functional in character.

The building was erected as a Primitive Methodist Chapel in 1884. It was purchased by the Diocese of Clifton in 1990 and refurbished and opened as a Roman Catholic church in 1991, through the generosity of the Thesiger family. It is served from St Osmund, Salisbury (qv).

The church is not orientated; the main front faces west towards the road. The building is rectangular on plan under a pitched roof, with a lower section at the rear and a small addition on the north side. The walls are of dark red brick laid in Flemish bond, with dressings of yellow brick and roof coverings of Welsh slate. The main front is divided into three bays by brick pilasters. The side bays have round-headed windows while the central bay has a round arch rising into the gable. Below the arch is a stone tablet with the words PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL 1884 and below this is a brick and timber porch. The body of the church is three bays deep, with round-headed windows in each bay; two further bays at the rear have straight-headed windows. On the north side is a single-storey modern addition containing the main entrance. 

The interior is a simple space with plain plastered walls, a flat boarded ceiling and clear-glazed windows. A small sanctuary alcove has been formed on the north side within the northern addition. A wide arch on the east side of the main worship space opens into a smaller hall at the rear of the building.

Diocese: Clifton

Architect: Not established

Original Date: 1884

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not listed