Article

A Brief Introduction to the Diocese of Clifton

The Diocese of Clifton has 123 churches (as of 2016). The cathedral is in Clifton, Bristol, and is dedicated to SS Peter and Paul. The Diocese of Clifton was founded on 29th September 1850. It covers the counties of Gloucestershire, Wiltshire and Somerset, and includes the major centres of Bath, Bristol, and Swindon. It is a suffragan diocese of the Archdiocese of Birmingham in the Province of Birmingham.

 

Clifton has a strong diversity of nineteenth century church styles, with good examples of both classical and gothic designs. For example Prior Park, near Bath, was the subject of several classical schemes, whilst Woodchester was built as a triumph of gothic architecture. The cathedral was built 1970-3, and was the first post-Vatican II cathedral in England; it is a large concrete building and was paid for by an anonymous group of Catholic laymen.

 

The diocesan website is here.

 

The Taking Stock review for Clifton was completed in 2016.